Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
JasonSTL

6th Bathroom Remodel w/ pictures - First Kerdi Shower

Hello all. We are starting on our 6th bathroom remodel, but this is our first attempt at a kerdi shower.
The rough in plumbing has been completed, and I'm finalizing the layout of our shower area. The shower will be approximately 4ft by 6ft. Couple of questions on layout. Pictures below to help visualize.

1. The drain is 2 feet from the side walls and 3 feet from the end walls. When determining my screed height, do I pick the farthest distance from the drain and make the screed height from that farthest point. In my case, 3 ft would be a pitch height of 3/4in plus the 1 1/8in kerdi drain height...making a total of almost 2 inches high on the perimeter?

2. If the perimeter height of the screed is 2in, how high should my curb be? 2inches higher? Making it 4 inches high?

3. What is your preference for a bench seat based on our pictures/layout? A rectangle bench or a triangle shaped corner bench? Let me know your opinions!
Attached Images

Last edited by JasonSTL; 12-19-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Imbed photos in thread
JasonSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
bbcamp

Jason, please upload your pictures from your computer using the Amanage Attachments option. If you close your Flickr account or remove the pictures, there would be holes in your thread for future readers to ponder over. Besides, many of us cannot see your linked pictures because of their company's web-nanny software.

1) the actual distance is to the far corner, which is about 3.6 feet away from your drain. Adding 1/4" per foot to the 1-1/8" you are setting your drain puts your perimeter about 2-1/32" above the slab.

2) If you are planning to use a shower door, a curb height 1" above the adjacent shower floor is adequate. 2" for a curtain.

3) Can't help; can't see your pictures.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Jason.

Let me ask once again that you please attach your photos directly from your computer rather than linking to third-party storage facilities. Your photos are very likely to disappear when that facility changes the urls and that can render your posts useless to future visitors.

1. By your calculation the last six inches into the far corners would be flat and not drain at all, which I doubt is what you envision. You need to measure to the farthest point from the drain and base your calculation upon that. In your case, to achieve the minimum required slope, I'd want at least an inch rise to your entire perimeter.

2. The code requirement is that the curb be at least two inches higher than the drain. Tile industry standards call for the curb to be two inches higher than the shower floor, but that's not a code requirement.

3. And you can see why we want your photos to be a permanent part of your thread, yes?

[Edit] Boy, the great minds are on the same track this morning, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
JasonSTL

Thanks for the input on my first two questions. I have edited my original post to remove the Flickr link. Now hopefully you can see my pictures!
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
bbcamp

I take it that the door will be to the right side of the shower, where the sharpie is? If so, a triangular bench would be better, from a safety perspective. If you are trying to maximize the bench top area (I have no idea why) you might consider clipping the corner or even radiusing the corner.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
JasonSTL

Kerdi Sticking?

I'm a bit worried about my Kerdi application. I'm using a Kerdi trowel, TEC unmodified thinset with Hardibacker behind it. I read that the Hardi could absorb water from the thinset, so we sponged and sprayed water on it just prior to applying the thinset. However, it still appears to dry out fast and my kerdi seems to not have full coverage!?!

I've attached a pic...it shows how the Kerdi is light and dark (assuming full coverage vs. partial?) and I can see some of the ridges from the trowel.

Will this be ok after it dries? Or am I in big trouble? Help.

Jason
Attached Images

Unread 02-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
JasonSTL

Progress Pics!

The Kerdi ended up adhering very well...so we were good to go. We had a tape/mudder out this week...so we're ready for paint and to begin grouting the shower and installing fixtures. Progressing slowly!
Attached Images

Unread 02-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

What brand of veneer stone did you use, and how was it to work with? I'm researching my next project.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
JasonSTL

It's from The Tile Shop (be sure to negotiate price). It was really easy to work with as it's pretty soft material that the tile saw cut easily. They recommended using thinset for attaching, but we used a similar stacked stone previously on our bar wall and just attached using heavy duty liquid nails. It was much easier, less mess and is holding up solid. What are you planning?
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nice job, Jason.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
JasonSTL

Remodel Complete

Ok members - we finished our master bath remodel a few weeks ago, but have been distracted a bit with our new little girl. However, wanted to share the progress pics as well as before and after photos. Hope all enjoy and once again, it wouldn't have been accomplished without your help!
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
JasonSTL

Before and After

Before and After...
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
JasonSTL

Before and After Continued

Before and After Continued
Attached Images

Unread 06-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Great work Jason

You should add those pics to the JBF Alumni Hall Of Fame Thread.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
JasonSTL

Can I post myself, or does it require a moderator?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase