Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
lnb001

warm tiles thermostat malfunction

Hi all,

I have finally finished my bathroom remod and have been enjoying my heated marble floors for a couple months now. While away this weekend my wife said there was a power outage for about an hour. After her shower she said she noticed the floors were ice cold. When I got home the programmable thermostat had no display but the GFI indicator light was on. I tried hitting test and reset several times, switching the mode from off to manual to auto to no avail. I tried flipping the breaker on and off but that didn't do anything either. Is this thing fried?

Thanks!
Lucas
Unread 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

Sounds like you just need a new controller, I wouldn't panic that the floor system is shot, yet.

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I'd check the t-stat installation/trouble-shooting instructions. I'd also call the t-stat manufacturers tech support and tell them your issues. They are best to direct you about their product.

Might need a new t-stat, but it might just be something simple as well.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

I had a similar problem with the t-stat in my daughter's bathroom. Seems that when the GFCi popped, it shorted out the t-stat. I was shipped a new one and received it with in a few days.
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
lnb001

Contacted the warmtiles rep and he said he would ship out a replacement right away. Amazing! Thanks all.
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

One thing I did long ago was install a whole-house surge suppressor at the power panel. Now, it isn't the greatest one (there are much more significant ones available), but on the expensive stuff, I have plug-in ones that significantly augment the whole-house system. To do this right, you need two CB slots, one for each leg, and (ideally) nothing else connected to those CB except the device. On my HVAC system, I have a device that monitors the line voltage for over/under voltage and will prevent it from running if the voltage is out of range. It also imposes a delay upon power up to allow the line voltage to stabilize. Think about the surges when the power company restores power and every house goes from no load to a significant one (especially where a/c is in use!). It can make those first seconds and maybe even minutes really messy.

Power fluctuations can be a cumulative thing...lots of smaller hits can be as bad as one big one. The whole house thing prevents spikes from appearing in the house, sometimes from internal things like pumps, or other motors, and definately from outside. Nothing will protect you from a major lightning strike, but some precautions are cost effective for the more common power problems.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
lnb001

So does this mean everytime my power goes out the thermostat will be ruined? Will it matter if I try to make sure the tstat is off if I think there will be a power outage?
Unread 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Every power outage is different...and, some devices can handle surge or transients better than others. IMHO, it is prudent to help mitigate those things in the whole house and really concentrate on the expensive stuff with dedicated protection (things like say the computer, TV, stereo). Keep in mind that many appliances these days are controlled via computer(s). It can get really expensive to trash say that microwave or stove or refrigerator that finally dies. The junctions in solid state material can get 'chipped' away by spikes. Just like hitting a boulder with a small hammer, eventually, you turn it into sand. I prefer to replace those things on my schedule, not theirs, and to do that, power conditioning helps.

It could have been a fluke on your thermostat that coincided with the power outage. Infant mortality can strike anything for any reason. Some designs are better than others...without a post-mortem, there's no way to tell if it was a fluke, infant mortality, or a design flaw.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase