Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
MercyBen

Best Place to Buy Tile

Hi. We need to redo our master bath and kids' bathroom. I love the travertine look porcelain tiles but don't have a lot of money to spend. Any suggestions/ideas as to the best place to buy tile-reasonable price and good quality online or around Washington DC. My home depot had a daltile porcelain tile on sale last week for 0.77c a sq feet. The info on the label was SH 99-sandhurst 1212hd1P6 with a PEI rating of 3. Is this a good bargain. I couldn't find any information about the tile on line. Thanks in advance.

Mercy
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

either its a discontinued tile from Daltile or made just for Home Depot.
I dont have it in my Daltile price book either.

0.77c a sq feet is cheep for tile.
but it's probably a good tile.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

HD generally has, from Dal, tile that isn't quite up to the standards of professional tile....although this can vary. Find something you like? "Rack" up a dozen of the tiles. In other words, mix em' up and set them on a flat surface. Is there a lot of size variation to them? Over 1/8" or so? If so, that's why they're cheap. If they're close and you like them....go for it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
MercyBen

Thanks. Interesting. I love this forum cos I learn something new each time. Any other suggestions as to where to buy tile?
Unread 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Ideal Tile
www.idealtile.com
(202) 333-5590

Morris Tile Distributors
www.morristile.com
(301) 773-7000

Tile Source Inc.
www.tilesourceinc.com
(703) 817-9650
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
MercyBen

Daltile Travata

I'm considering daltile travata in fresco cream for my bathroom remodel. Does anyone have any experience with this tile? Is this a good tile to go with or not. For under $2 a square foot for the 12x12, is it a good deal. As always, thanks for the wonderful information, help, suggestion, etc on this board.

Mercy.
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
MarkTarkus
Mark Christensen, Tile contractor

I did a 600 sf job with it last year. I didn't like working with it. It was all the same calibration according to the boxes but the sizing was horrible. Some pieces were as much as 1/8" bigger or smaller than others. In my experience, that's typical of many of Daltiles products. Sorry, but you asked. Good luck.
MarkTarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
navyson
Tile Setter

I do new construction and that's one of the Daltile selections the builder has for homeowners. I agree with Mark on the sizing issues. I've used Travata a couple of times. Fortunately, I did a brick pattern which helped a little bit. Probably not great for straight set.

"In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines, we've often been told to keep up with the times.
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job, and with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed."
The Workers Song - Dropkick Murphys
navyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
MercyBen

Oh my goodness! Thank you Mark and Donald I was going to go ahead and order the tile yesterday when I didn't get any replies to to my post before I left the office. Am I glad I decided to wait. What about Daltile Brancacci tile? Thanks in advance
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
navyson
Tile Setter

I've used Brancacci Windrift Beige recently, but it was 10x14 wall tile. I didn't have any problems with that tile. I couldn't tell you about the floor tile in that series as the homeowner picked from the Salerno series. The Salerno I installed was 18x18 and I had sizing problems with that. So, I would venture to guess you might have sizing problems with the Brancacci.

"In the factories and mills, in the shipyards and mines, we've often been told to keep up with the times.
For our skills are not needed, they've streamlined the job, and with sliderule and stopwatch our pride they have robbed."
The Workers Song - Dropkick Murphys
navyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Sondra18

Sandhurst tile

I also just saw the same tile on sale at Home Depot for $0.77 a tile. The brand name on there says Sandhurst. The employees there say it's just fine and that Home Depot bought too much of it so they are trying to get rid of it. It looks 'ok' but I too am concerned about the quality.
Unread 07-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
MercyBen

Can I use 12X12 floor tiles on a bathroom wall?

I'm particularly interested in the Daltile Salerno and the Daltile Brancacci series. Daltile website describes the 12X12 tiles as floor tiles. Can I go ahead and use them on the bathroom walls as well? I like the uniformity of same size tiles. Thanks
Unread 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Mercy.

Please bookmark this thread and use it for all your project questions so folks can see the history and what's been previously asked and answered.

You can use any floor tile on any wall. There are some restrictions on actual wall tiles being used elsewhere.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
zootjeff

Please see the attachment photo.. I went with 12/12 floor tiles for both the dry floor and wet/dry wall areas of the shower. I used 2x2s on the base of the wet shower area.

I got some cheap ceramic tiles that had a really good hardness rating, but wound up going back and getting porcelain tiles for not much more. It was 60cents/sq ft for the ceramic, and 1.15/sq ft for the porcelain. I really didn't like the way the back of the ceramic tiles wicked up water...

-Jeff
Attached Images

Last edited by zootjeff; 07-30-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typos
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #15
MercyBen

As always, thanks for the mine of information. Jeff, can you tell me the name of the porcelain tile that cost $1.15/sq ft and where it was purchased from? Any tile shop suggestions in the washington dc area? Thanks again.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase