Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #526
BronsonB

I will say that the grout did a very good job of convincing me it was just wet for a couple of weeks before I hit it with the bleach. As others have noted, I don't believe the bacteria is IN the grout as much as growing on the phosphorous residue that is on the grout from the shampoo. I do think a good squeegee regimen must help as we've not had any recurrence of the pink stuff since we cleaned over a month or so ago, and I've been looking for it.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #527
bobinchico

Hi Wendy,

My Kerdi shower was completed one year ago. I have applied RainX foam about every two to three months and my shower doors look like they did after they were first installed. I squeegee the walls, floor and then the 6' high doors. After drying off in the shower I wipe off any remaining drops of water with my towel. I then use a micro fiber cloth to wipe the bottom rail of the frame and shower floor. There is very little moisture on my shower floor by the time I use the micro fiber on it. I used Bostik Tru Color pre-mixed grout everywhere and it also looks great. I've never had any 'pink algae' issue, or for that matter any issues. You can not tell my shower has ever even been used.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #528
BronsonB

RainX comes in foam??? I had to use the stuff that was like wax. It went on about as easy as car wax and then got buffed off. Is the foam easier to apply? I might have be on the look out for that.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #529
bobinchico

Quote:
RainX comes in foam??? I had to use the stuff that was like wax. It went on about as easy as car wax and then got buffed off. Is the foam easier to apply? I might have be on the look out for that.
Yes!!! It comes in a blue and yellow can with black cap. It says 2-in-1 Glass Cleaner + Rain Repellent. I just spray it on and wipe it with a microfiber cloth. It takes more than 1 minute but less than 2 to do my two sliding doors. I bought it at an auto supply store.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #530
ArmchairQB

Wow, that looks great!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #531
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

We're done

The bathroom isn't quite done, so don't go expecting pictures, but the part of it we can do is DONE.
This morning we did the final fit on the drawer and added the knob and then cleaned everything. No "little details" remain. At some point I have to decide whether the vent under the vanity is too visible and needs to be hidden by a piece of tile or something, but that will take a bit. Otherwise, we're just waiting on the glass door. Once that's in I'll take all sorts of pics.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #532
cx
Da Home Builder

So, you think you're done here too, is that what you're telling us, Ms. Wendy?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #533
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Wendy, I'm on and off this board and haven't gone back to read your thead from last visit but thought I might share something I've done in the past. Assuming you've channeled a duct out the toe space of your vanity and that you don't like the looks of a metal cover.

Instead of having a 3" x 10" duct opening in toe kick board, I've left a narrower "slot" at the top of the kick board only, so the "roof" of the duct is the cabinet bottom and it's maybe an inch wide...perhaps an opening of 1 1/2" x 18" or similar. Run base or tile down low so airflow goes up and over.

Much less visually imposing in some circumstances.

And if I'm way off base in my assessment? I guess I should catch up!

Went back to catch up and looks like you directed it into ajacent room, so disregard all the above. Are you choosing between adding a kick board and leaving it open?

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 09-18-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: I went back and looked at pics!
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #534
WendyHMN

CX, you will not be able to get rid of me so easily. I find the tile forum to be an excellent antidote to work stress. And I have 2 more bathrooms and a kitchen. Maybe on the next project I'll actually do everything right.

I don't want a kickboard. I want the more furniture-like look and the ability to see more floor. I just overestimated how far back the vent would be. Turns out it's quite visible to anyone..er..having a sit if you take my meaning. Mr. Wendy needed to hit Homer's tonight so I asked him to pick me up a bullnose tile since I used all mine doing the baseboard. I'm betting that if I attach the tile to the side of that vent it will blend into the floor and make my bodge more or less invisible. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #535
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy
CX, you will not be able to get rid of me so easily.
This is a good thing.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #536
WendyHMN

Ready for it?

Yup, it's done. Glass is in, first steam has been enjoyed. About the only thing yet to do is find some bronze finial balls to replace the brass ones currently holding one lamp to the wall (the originals went missing).

So on to the pics...

First a reminder of what we started with so you don't have to go back to the early pages. 6 1/2' x 8' master bath with fiberglass shower, vinyl tile, awkward linen cupboard.
Name:  BathBefore1.jpg
Views: 5838
Size:  19.5 KB
Name:  BathBefore2.jpg
Views: 5850
Size:  38.7 KB

And here is the finished product, a year and a half later.
We bumped out the wall about 10 inches, which made all the difference. You can see the window that kept us from going further. As a bonus, the wall now sits on a joist.
Name:  bedroom.jpg
Views: 5845
Size:  23.9 KB
You can see into the bath here. The blues and browns looked a little odd until the oriental carpet went back down. Now all is harmony.
Name:  Entrance.jpg
Views: 5819
Size:  58.1 KB
The view in the door. We moved the toilet to where the vanity was. Original plan had it in the other corner, but then we learned more about plumbing.
Name:  Straight in.jpg
Views: 5843
Size:  57.3 KB
More to come

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #537
WendyHMN

Dual flush Toto Aquia. No complaints at all so far. It set so nicely that we didn't need to caulk the front to make it pretty. The pictures are ones I took in Italy in 2007. The top is a view of Mt. Vesuvius from Pompeii, and the bird is from a fresco in the home of Nero's wife.
Name:  Throne.jpg
Views: 5830
Size:  37.7 KB
Moving right, here's the shower with the new door. I can take a steam without messing up the mirror.
Name:  Shower door.jpg
Views: 5828
Size:  59.5 KB
The shower interior. That mosaic is the one thing that has made experienced workmen look twice. I like having something no one else does.
Name:  Inside shower.jpg
Views: 5812
Size:  61.2 KB
Moving right again, we reach the vanity.
Name:  Vanity area.jpg
Views: 5813
Size:  44.1 KB
A closer look at the granite counter and travertine sink. The sink is so impractical and yet so fun. We made both the vanity and the mirror frame from scratch.
Name:  Vanity top.jpg
Views: 5821
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #538
WendyHMN

The vanity open so you can see the steam generator, and also the off-center drawer front designed to go around the drain. The right drawer front has no drawer behind it.
Name:  Steam guts.jpg
Views: 5811
Size:  32.4 KB
And finally a nice shot of the floor. Someone from this forum once talked about the importance of the tile in front of the toilet. My favorite tile out of all the boxes is right at the gaze line.
Name:  Floor.jpg
Views: 5841
Size:  41.2 KB

OK folks, if you have any comments or questions, get 'em in. On Monday we're leaving for a 2 week vacation in Peru and I doubt they have wifi in the rainforest.

Done!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #539
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Well Done!

Have a great vacation.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #540
cx
Da Home Builder

Pretty good, for a girl.

That's some really nice work, Wendy. One to be proud of. Even if I don't like the medallion.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase