Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
qzrrbz

old house bathroom remodel - baseboard

The tub surround is now in ... Next step.

In the planning phase for putting a layer of 1/2" ply on top of original 3/4" oak strip floor (too damaged to salvage). Then a layer of DITRA, then 3/8" thick 2" marble hexagons on top.

Question concerns how best to handle original 1900s baseboard moulding. I have plenty of door height for this ~1" buildup. I don't think I want to take the moulding off -- I doubt I could do it without bunging it up badly. I've seen jamb saws promoted for passing tile through a doorway. I don't quite have that issue here -- am planning on putting a threshold at door to border with ~~1" carpet and pad buildup in hall. Would anyone recommend undersawing the moulding with a jamb saw so as to run the tile under it, making a "cleaner" (for some def'n of cleaner) edge?

If not, what is recommended procedure for moulding already in place? Closet door plinth blocks sort of the same question -- what to do about them?

Thanks for any advice!
qzrrbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Throw a name in your sig. for us.
As far as baseboard, 99% of the homes i do the base is in,so you'll just have to get good at cuts.One of my favorite tools is a 2" wide strip of tile used to mark my cuts with.Just slice a piece of a tile,lay your intenede cut on top of the the field tile adjacent to where the cut is going,now move it over the inteneded grout joint, and use a small speed square to keep your gauge stick square as you use it to outline your intended cut.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I'm not a huge fan of quarter round or shoe moulding but it does give a nice look when there existing base is of substantial size ( 5.25")

Jason
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
qzrrbz

There's no quarter round in the whole place. Baseboard is ~ 4.5" tall, with an (i'm sure i can't find a router knife to reproduce it) interesting profile and is in good condition (at the moment :-) ). I agree that quarter round can "disappear" if done well, but this is a very small space, about 6' x 6' of open floor, so I think the qrnd would stand out. I'm much better at carpentry than I am at tile, so maybe that's a good option for me!

Anybody coming down on the side of undercutting the baseboard?

Thanks,
rnd
Unread 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I'm a remove & replace kinda guy. If you start in a hidden location, like behind a toilet or similar, you can usually get it out w/o beating it up too bad. Pull the nails thru the back, and use a small scrap piece of plywood to pry off of. The cuts won't change and when finished, will look like new. While its off, why not repaint it too.

edit: carefully cut the paint at the top at the drywall/plaster to relieve it and you're less likely to rip paint off the wall.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
qzrrbz

Yeh, I'm a big fan of old looking like new, too! :-)

I only have two runs of baseboard, all of ~10 feet total, as a door cuts through the one run.

That leaves the door jams and plinth blocks. I'm not taking those apart; I've had enough "surprises" everywhere else in this job already... :-)

Admittedly, just a simple hand jamb saw should be ok here, I'd think. Except I do have an inside corner where hinge side of entry door and hinge side of linen closet door abut. Actually, that's casing for each of those sides abut...

Nothing's ever simple with old houses.

rnd
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Admittedly, just a simple hand jamb saw should be ok here, I'd think. Except I do have an inside corner where hinge side of entry door and hinge side of linen closet door abut.
Inside corners are the toughest. I typically use a handsaw laid down over a piece of tile and cardboard to get the height right, then finish off with a sharp chisel. You'll be able to get most with the handsaw. Using a small sharp 1/4" chisel disturbs things less, tho it takes a little longer to peck away at it. There's not that much to do, so take your time and you'll be fine.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
qzrrbz

Well, the moulding came off without too much of a fight. I'm feeling jaded -- was wallboard behind it, so its age is probably not house vintage, and without rosey glasses, the profile's not all that interesting. :-)

Suspect it's 50's, in that I found a lot of busted up pink subway tile in the rubble under the tub. There is plaster and lath behind the wallboard, guess it was wrecked so they covered it all up. Some knob and tube (still live) in there, too. Probably ought to look at doing something about that while the wall is somewhat open.

[Other places in the house are original and quite interesting :-) ]

Off to get a little sidecut saw and a sharp chisel!

rnd

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase