Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #1
Mattpetro
Tile and Stone contractor

Copper Penny floor?

Hello everyone.
I recently joined the forum to seek any input on a new project I'm faced with. I'm a tile contractor/installer in N.J. with 13 yrs. experience with all types of materials, i.e. porcelain, natural stone, mosaic, etc.. I have a request from a customer to install a powder room floor (25 sq.ft.) consisting of copper pennies. Cement sub floor. We wish to use black grout and finish the surface with a polyurethane or lacquer to protect the floor and add a smooth, durable finish.
Has anyone out there ever had a similar project?
Should the pennies be set w/ epoxy mortar, or will the alkalinity from the portland eventually corrode the copper?
Poly or lacquer?

Any input from all you fine people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
Mattpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

I cant comment on corrosion from portland, but use the polyurethane instead of lacquer... It's much more durable.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hi Matt,
Epoxy will likely be the most reliable bond. Since pennies have different metal content from each minting it's probably a good call to avoid cement products entirely. No telling how those various alloys will react.
I don't think that any clear coat is going to give you an advantage though. Eventually, it will wear through and you'll have the problem of repairing it to restore an even finish. Better to let the pennies wear naturally.
So, heads up or tails up?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

For the longest wear and the most natural aging of the copper, try to get pennies minted between 1962-1982. During this period pennies were comprised of 95% copper and 5% zinc. Since 1982 the composition has been 97.5% zinc with only 2.5% copper. Essentially, today's pennies are copper-coated zinc.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd think epoxy would be the way to go. I might would even rough up one side to help the bond, not sure if it's really necessary.

Post a pitcher when you get it done.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #6
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

They would absolutely have to be cleaned of body oils and other grime before installing. Probably a bath in a mild acid, but would require some experimentation.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The floor might be a candidate to a (thick) pour of clear plastic sort of like you sometimes see in a paperweight or tabletops. If it got scratched up, you could buff it down, back to a clear surface. It might end up being quite slippery, though, and especially in a commercial situation, I'd be leary. Might have the same problem with a urethane finish, depending on how thick it was applied.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Old World Tile and Marble

look for a product called liquid glass ive poured it over bar tops can go thick and theirs limited airbubbles
Old 05-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Mattpetro
Tile and Stone contractor

Wow. Thanks so much for all your input so quickly! I'm going to do a couple of mock-ups with some different materials and post how the results came out.
Hopefully these trials will not only help me, but anyone faced with a similar situation in the future.

I may throw a nickel in there just to keep things interesting! I'll keep you all posted...

Matt
Mattpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Touchstone T-2000 is what I would use to install it.. I bid one some time ago in "quarters"..It never came round But that's what we bid to use.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

I thought about doing this in my bathroom before. I decided not to because of the cost of the pourable epoxy and the amount of it I would need. My plan was to lay the pennies out thick so they were layered and then pour thick epoxy over it. I was going to frame the room out with 1" x 1" and caulk the bottom so the epoxy stayed in the frame. I would imagine that the boards would then need to be removed to allow for expansion. The only way I can think of to do that is by cutting with a toe kick saw. I was going to trim with base and shoe to cover the gap.

I decided not to do this because of cost (didn't know if it would work or not and didn't want to throw the money down the drain) and finished floor height. My bath floor was already higher than the other floor it met with adding another inch was out of the question.

I originally thought to do this with blue slate landscaping chips (Which are some really cool looking landscaping rocks). If I did that though my finished floor height would of been alot higher after layering the rocks. The rocks are chips so they are flat and not round but they are still 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick a piece.

I found pourable epoxy in five gallon buckets online somewhere. It was cheaper than buying the little bartop kits at the store. Might want to look online for some deals.

Keep us posted with pics. I might try this when I move. More willing to go crazy in a house I plan to stay in for more than a couple of years. Didn't want to spend to much money and time fixing up the one I am currently in.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
Foochacho
Wood and Tile Contractor

If you decide not to layer it and lay it flat it would probally be easier to pre lay it in sheets on some mesh with epoxy.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
silvercitytile

Send a message via MSN to silvercitytile
how many pennies in a square foot that would be a cool looking floor

Schluter Kerdi and Ditra installer in Southern New Mexico
Castillo Construction
silvercitytile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #14
ob1kanobee

Is that kind of floor even legal? I thought you weren't supposed to destroy money like that LOL.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
The Kid

yep, weird, I always buy beer with my change.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase