Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
AndyFL

Not sure what method to use for my shower

When I moved in to my house the shower was falling apart so I demo'd it while reading the forums, Tile Your World, and the kerdi ebook. The shower had regular drywall with the tiles fixed to it with something that looked like adhesive (brownish/amber kind of clear) and needless to say it wasn't waterproof. The floor had tile/thinset/mud, but no liner and the drain doesn't seem to have any weep holes. I'm guessing the water that was in the mud I removed was probably some very old stuff. So the pictures I attached are where I am right now,and I'm not sure which method to take. I have enough cement board to do the entire shower, but haven't purchased any other materials.

So does anyone have any thoughts on what they would do in this situation?

Thanks!

P.S. the house is cement slab 1 story with the shower recessed.
Attached Images

AndyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
bbcamp

Andy, you have a great opportunity to build a curb-less Kerdi shower.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
AndyFL

Not sure if it makes a differance but the shower did have a curb of bricks that I removed. From what I have gathered if I were to make a kerdi shower I would mud/screed the floor and put the kerdi directly over that, and make the sides where the thinset is remaining as smooth as possible to apply the kerdi over it.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
bbcamp

Something like that. Have you visited Schluter's website to watch their video or read their instructions?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
AndyFL

I have read and watched the videos, I guess the drain setup kind of has me baffled. From what I've read if I were to do a kerdi drain I would remove my existing drain which is 2" high presently. The spec sheet for the schluter says the kerdi drain is 3 7/8". Would I need to break away the floor more to sit the drain in lower, or should I just remove the existing drain and place the kerdi drain and raise the floor height with deck mud, and continue from there?

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
AndyFL

Is there a limit on how high one would want deck mud below the kerdi drain? I would rather build the floor up some more instead of chopping down to fit the drain
Old 02-05-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
chuck stevenson
Contractor -- Schluterville Graduate

Andy,

You want 1-1/4" below the drain.

No curb, walk-in shower.
chuck stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Not really, Andy, but in general the industry starts to call for engineering of reinforced mud beds thicker than two inches. That said, I know guys who mud whole floors at thicknesses greater than that and with un-reinforced mud beds bonded to concrete SOG.

For your shower floor, contained as it is, I think you'd likely get by making the floor as thick as you need to. Keep in mind that the top of your finished shower floor must be at least two inches below the top of your finished curb (the bathroom floor in your case) according to tile industry standards. Your bath floor needs to be two inches above the top of the drain to meet plumbing code.

Being in Florida, not sure y'all have any requirements at all for showers.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase