Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
RY12

Is Spectralock the most durable grout out there? The white-grout dream

I've never heard a clear answer to this question: what is the all around "best" grout you can buy? in terms of stain-resistance, longevity, crack-resistance, bond with the tile, hygenic. I've heard epoxy satisfies most of these, but if your house settles it will crack all over cause it's so brittle. Spectralock says its a compromise, best of both worlds. Any thoughts?

All I want is clean tile floor with white grout, no staining and no dirt collecting in the grout-tile bond. If you can't have consistently white grout, then I really see no point in having tile at all- a flooring product is only as good as its weakest link. Obviously pure white grout on the floor will take a lot of cleaning, but the human eye knows that, so when it is clean you know its truly clean, not hidden.
RY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
todd1313

Don't do it! My wife really really wanted white grout on the floor of our bathroom. I fell for it and did it against my better judgement. Well it looked great! Super clean and bright look. She loved it and so did I. Fast forward 6 mos it looks like crap. All the cleaning in the world does not bring it back to bright white. She hates it now and I don't want to dig it all out. I did not use Spectralock. Shoulda never listened to the wife.
todd1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
jim mclaughlin
Harrisburg PA Bathroom Remodeler

Specctra lock white is not a true white white color or at least it was not the last time I used it. Spectra lock itself is great just not a fan of the white.

www.lovemybathroom.com
jim mclaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
RY12

White Grout- What is the best grout variety for this color? Epoxy?

I'd really like to have white grout on our floor, but am worried it will stain or discolor rapidly- what is the best option for this? I've heard epoxy might yellow... is something like Spectralock the best? Or would a simple regular grout with lots of anti-microbial, etc. and a decent sealer be good enough? Would I want un-sanded so it doesn't leave niches for dirt to hide?
Thanks
RY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Schmidty

Nugrout

Purchase Nugrout and apply when needed.

Schmidt
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Ry12,
Currently, SpectraLOCK is not available in a "true white". The resins contained in the formula give it a slight yellowish tint. But I've heard that a "true white" is just on the horizon so you might want to contact Laticrete directly for the most current news on that?
Sanded or non-sanded? Floors or walls? Bathroom or kitchen or fireplace? For the most part, ALL modern grout formulas have been engineered to be resistant to staining and bacteria. Additives can be added at the time of mixing to improve on these qualities but you should always follow the grout manufacturer's instructions rather than the additive's instructions. After the grout has cured, a good quality sealer and cleaning program are essential for maintaining light colored grouts. Find a supplier in your area that stocks all of the products you'll need for this, or bookmark a website if you are going to purchase these on-line. Stone-Tech Professional sealers are a sponsor of this site and they have very good product. You could plan on use those and purchasing through our link and do everyone a favor, but there's no obligation to do so.
If white is what you want, then there are ways to ensure that it remains pristine for the life of the installation.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, ry12. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.

I've combined your thread from last year with this same question. Looks like you didn't see the responses to that one. If you'll bookmark this thread with your favorites and use it for all the project questions it'll be easier for folks to keep up with what you're doing and what's been previously asked and answered.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase