Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Woodturner

Kerdi Shower

I am considering using the Kerdi shower system but I am concerned about the Styrofoam base. I watched a video that showed that the base would flex and the tile would break has anyone had any issues using the Styrofoam base.
Woodturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

The base, when properly installed, is just fine. If you are worried about it, do a mud base and cover with Kerdi.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The foam is quite dense. The only possible issue I can see is someone standing in there in high-heels with small tile. The pan must be on a flat floor, and properly bedded. If this is an issue, the floor tile don't seem to get as cold as it typically feels if the pan is made with a normal drypack.

The foam curb might look and feel wimppy, but one guy I talked with tried to kick one out before tiling (as an experiment), and couldn't without hurting his booted foot. I know that trying to move one once you've set it in thinset is VERY difficult and bascially becomes nearly impossible once it cures.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
crosby1

yeah, but be careful about stepping or kneeling on the curb once you've got it installed and are tiling the rest of the shower.

i have some areas along the edges of the curb that are now dented in from where i kneeled on it when working on the other parts of the shower. the membrane's not ripped at all, it just seems a little "loose" in places...i guess i just wasn't expecting this to happen so i didn't pay much attention to it while i was working.

i'm getting ready to tile over the curb and i'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem...anybody??

Last edited by crosby1; 04-13-2008 at 06:16 AM.
crosby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
kerdibird

Cut the kerdi, add thinset under the loose sections, patch with the membrane, tile. Assuming the dents are that bad there wont be much build up.
kerdibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
Woodturner

I purchased the Kerdi Schluter shower system but I am havening trouble finding a good unmodified thinset. Reading on the forums here I see some are using kerabond, versabond, and a few others.

I will be using dora travertine that is a shade lighter than darango travertine any help on which thinset I should use would be a great help. The cost does not matter so which ever is the best I do not like having to redo jobs.

Mike

Last edited by Woodturner; 04-26-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Mike2

What brands are you able to find? If Mapei is one, then I'd recommend Kerabond. Or, come up with another brand/manufacturer and we'll can recommend something else.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Woodturner

I can find Mapei. Is Kerabond a white or gray thinset I have been under the impression from reading these forums that natural stone should be set with white thinset except for slate which can be set with either.

Mike

Last edited by Woodturner; 04-26-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Mike2

Kerabond comes in both white and grey. For travertine, I'd go with white.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Woodturner

Which grout would be best for Travertine with 1/16 inch grout lines using mapei grout. Opticolor, Ultracolor or Keracolor.

Mike
Unread 04-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #11
kerdibird

Keracolor. Ultracolor has had a few bad batches. Had to send in a grout sample to the Mapei lab. Costs too, but they paid for the redo.
kerdibird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Woodturner

Well my wife has changed her mind on the travertine, she wants the travertine look but using porcelain and epoxy grout for the easiest maintenance...I have read several post on here about spectralock grout and it sounds like what I need to use your opinions would be very useful to me because you are the ones who use it the most...

I also have found a dealer for laticrete and mapei and was wondering which thinset would be best for kerdi and porcelain tile...

Then which would be best for cement backer board...

Mike
Unread 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Mike,

I'd stick with the Kerabond if it were my choice.

Porcelain and epoxy is a good combo. But realize you need to use a high quality flexible sealant (like urethane or 100% silicone) in the corners to allow for slight movement of the walls.

Backerboard is kinna a preference thing. If you don't want to use drywall as Schluter recommends, just pick one. I happen to prefer Durock. Another is going to prefer Hardibacker, etc.....

By the way, what kind of turning are you interested in?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Woodturner

I finished the mud floor in the shower but the drain does not feel tight, I can slide it out of the bed and the bed is the exact form of the drain, is this normal or do I need to do something to hold it is place.

Mike

Last edited by Woodturner; 06-08-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Unread 06-08-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
sandbagger

the drain should not move once it's embedded in the mud floor. How long did you wait before testing it?

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase