Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-21-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
Maji Mud

The Jackleg Files!

Jackleg: a so called handyman who doesn't know what the hell he's doing. He loves Mastic and Liquid Nail. Tools of preference are Ryobi or any Drug Store brand. He loves to leave his dirty tools on the job. He disappears with the deposit after he figures out he can't do the job. "Ah that's easy! or "A little caulk will fix that!" are words often said by a Jackleg.

Today I had to tear out a bathroom. I Hate Jacklegs! The Marble was installed with Liquid Nails on the walls and Mastic on the floor. Listen guys! He installed 12x12" Marble to an OSB subfloor with a 1/8 notch trowel! I literally picked the marble up with my hands! He also 5 spotted one tile with cardboard and globs of Mastic. I felt so bad for the customer, this WAS some beautiful marble. He never covered the Whirlpool tub, so you know what that looks like now. As I took a closer look at the marble, I didn't see any grout. He told the customer that the Mastic ooozing through the joints was good enough. I know this isn't the worst job I will ever come behind but I hope it is.
Maji Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Maji Mud

Man I wish I'd had my camera so that you guys could see it.
Unread 04-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #3
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hey, i recognize that style.He's the guy we ran out state a couple years back.His last words as he was crossing the state line were
" I never liked it here anyway.theres no paper on the back of your tiles to peel off"
Unread 04-22-2003, 02:56 AM   #4
David Taylor

Why use mastic when you can use hot melt glue?

It has to be at least seven or eight years ago that we had a customer come into the office to get a supply/install quote on Rosewind marble. At the time, it went for around $40/sf and she had 2200 sf to put on the main floor of her house.

Our price was a little high (almost double) for what we had to do, so she went with her lowest quote. She made it quite clear that she thought our price was outrageous.

After they moved in three months later, she started noticing that the tile was cracking everywhere and the fireplace tile were falling off. She had us come out to take a look at it - the installer had used hot glue on the corners of the tile. I won't even mention the spacing or the grouting of it...

When they started up the double-sided fireplace, the heat melted the glue and off it came - not in single pieces, but in grids of 2-4 because of the grout holding it together. Needless to say, she tried calling the installer's cell phone with no success. She had no other way of reaching him because he worked out of his van.

She asked us for another quote to try to salvage what we could - it was double the original quote and she balked at that, too.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Probably got a better price from the first guy's BIL.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #6
Maji Mud

Hey guys here's a picture of another job I have to do. Can you believe that the tile installer (Jackleg) used commercial tile adhesive! The contractor had hired another tile installer to do the job all over again and this guy saved the wall and ceiling with the commercial adhesive, installed Durock 2ft high and installed Gypsum Greenboard on the other two walls. THIS IS A STEAM/SHOWER! He also was going to keep the existing pan and tile over it. Well I have one day to do this job before inspection, I will post the after picture.
Unread 04-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
Maji Mud

Quote:
Originally posted by Maji Mud
Hey guys here's a picture of another job I have to do. Can you believe that the tile installer (Jackleg) used commercial tile adhesive! The contractor had hired another tile installer to do the job all over again and this guy saved the wall and ceiling with the commercial adhesive, installed Durock 2ft high and installed Gypsum Greenboard on the other two walls. THIS IS A STEAM/SHOWER! He also was going to keep the existing pan and tile over it. Well I have one day to do this job before inspection, I will post the after picture.
Attached Images

Unread 04-22-2003, 01:52 PM   #8
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

So what's the problem?

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #9
Brian Briggs
Stone Fabricator

Looks like several jobs I have seen down here in S. Florida.
(772) 466-5065 Fax
Brian Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2003, 06:42 PM   #10
Maji Mud

I'm just getting home from that horror job. The tile guy used liquid nail to hold the tape on the Durock. Also if you take a good look, he put silicone at the base of the shower walls. He told the contractor that that method water proofed the shower. I had to completely tear out the entire master bath. I finished mudding it today, tomorrow I have to tile and grout it. Final inspection is Thursday. Rapid Set 101 will get tested tomorrow! I will post the after picture.
Unread 04-22-2003, 07:16 PM   #11
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

The Durock should be the only thing standing when moisture get's done with that one !

Years ago in AZ, the tile company I was working for lost a bid to low bidder. The guy set tile on the concrete slab of a shower and left the drain sticking up in the middle of the floor . I wish I had a picture of that one (it's still etched in my brain over 20 yrs. later). If this wasn't bad enough, the curb was lower than the top of the drain ! If the shower would have made it into use, could have been a nice waterfall into the bathroom ! Needless to say we got the job, but at triple the original bid (tearout & prep).

Sounds like your guy had stocks in liquid nails!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 05:43 AM   #12
Maji Mud

Quote:
Originally posted by doitright

If this wasn't bad enough, the curb was lower than the top of the drain !
NOOOO WAY! LOL!
Unread 04-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Yeah, you know you never seem to see it all. Each time you figure that nobody can top a "screwup like that," somebody does.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
Maji Mud

I am dead tiered! I'm taking tomorrow off. I'm just getting home from this morning, I had to tile and finish this bathroom today. It was a rush job but it turned out ok. I only install 12x12" tile in shower pans only if the customer request it and the tile has a rough texture. Mudding the pan for 12x12" tile installation is the key for a uniform pitch. Well here's the after picture of the one I posted above.....,
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2003, 07:42 PM   #15
Maji Mud

To me this picture looks like the grout lines are wavey. Maybe it's my monitor. We all know you can't flex ceramic tile.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase