Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
john h

Grout with admix or siliconized caulking?

Hey folks...

Love the site, learning tons - Thanks!! I'd call myself a fairly noob hobby tilesetter, but I've read and studied tons of stuff.

Anyway, I'm embarking on my first kerdi tub surround. I live in SF and of course buildings move here. I do intend to make the corners of my framing rigid. I am wondering in i can use modified grout or grout with admix for all joints, including the wall-to-tub joint, in order to provide flexibility when the building shakes and hopefully minimize cracking. I really dont want any caulking around the tub, mildew grows readily here.

I read John B's Kerdi Handbook and he states he uses grout in all his corners (errr... dont think he mentioned whether modified or not). I think he was talking primarily about stall showers, not tub surrounds though. Hope i didn't misunderstand him or misquote him.

Next question - admix will make the grout more impervious to moisture, yes? so if cracks do develop, the moisture will have a tougher time evaporating, right?

Also, if i did use siliconized caulking around the tub and the grout above let in some moisture, is it possible for the moisture/water to work all the way down to the caulking and pool behind the caulking and not evaporate efficiently?

I'm half way tempted to suggest unmodified grout in a well-constructed shower is ok? even if cracks do develop and water/moisture gets in, I'm protected by the kerdi and the unmodified grout will let it evaporate eventually, right?

Thanks in advance for the advice, folks!!

Last edited by john h; 02-25-2008 at 11:21 AM.
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

You'll have to use caulking between the tub and the tile. No way will any kind of grout stay in there. As to modified v. unmodified, I don't think you'll have a choice. All the stock grouts I buy these days are modified.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
john h

Mr. Bridge,

Thanks for the reply sir, an honor to receive a reply from you! Down the road I'll probably meet a set of walls that are begging to be mudded, so I'll pepper you all with more questions then!
john h is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase