Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-25-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
Waffle

Improperly installed shower drain cover mounting

Hi. A poster at the Terry Love plumbing site suggested someone here might be able to help me.

One of our showers has a tile floor. The drain was improperly installed. The fitting for the cover sits on top of the tile instead of level with the floor or recessed. This creates a barrier to water flow, so we have to mop the floor after each shower.

The plastic around the outer edge is very brittle, but the center part is solid. How can I remove this fitting? It doesn't unscrew -- or at least not any way I've tried. The black drain below is ABS. I reached in and noticed a bit of a gap between the white fitting and the black ABS, but couldn't pull the fitting out. I wonder about using a small hacksaw to cut vertical lines into the center of the fitting and then pry it out piece by piece.

I figured I'd replace the white fitting with a snap-in drain cover that's level or below the floor and seal with good-quality silicone caulk. As far as I can tell, the tile goes right to the hole and there's a bit of cement that's bevelled down to direct water into the drain.

I'd really rather not bust up the tile floor to replace the whole drain.

Thanks
Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
MudGuy
Pass the Mud

Morning Waffle -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle
One of our showers has a tile floor. The drain was improperly installed. The fitting for the cover sits on top of the tile instead of level with the floor or recessed.
Is this what your tile setter said?

How high above the tile pan is the drain?

If your drain is sitting above the finished tile floor, then the installer didn't drypack the pan high enough to bring the tile flush with the top of the drain. You won't be able to remove the drain (nor would you want to) because the drain is bolted together under the drypack.

ABS drains for tile actually do adjust up and down, something you determine prior to installing your drypack. You may be able to grab an edge inside the top part of the drain with a flat screwdriver and lightly tap with a hammer clockwise with success.

Here's a pic of an ABS drain prior to drypack.

Unread 02-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Waffle

I haven't talked to a tile setter. The problem isn't really the drain but the fitting that tops the drain and holds the cover.

The house is 40-years-old. I don't know how old the shower installation is.

The fitting is white plastic. There is a hole in the middle that directs water into the drain. As far as I can tell it's set into a piece of plastic that's wider than a standard 1.5' or 2" drainpipe.

The center part of the white fitting is surrounded by plastic that extends over the tile floor. There are 2 screwholes for the drain cover. When the cover is in place, there is a white ring of plastic around it.

How did you post a photo? When I tried, the system told me to remove all URLs from the message.

Thanks
Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You can post your picture after you get another post...it's an anti-spam thing. From Terry Love's post...http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18979
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase