Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
cocodm

Question Shower problem

I completed this shower and have a persistent problem. You can see the streaks on the shower floor. Somehow water is getting into the short wall and and leaking back out at the floor. The first time, it took about 3-4 months for the siliconized latex caulk to bubble and then degrade. I caulked it again and it lasted about a month. I caulked it again with silicon and it lasted about a month. At first, I thought that maybe water from inside the shower was degrading the caulk, but now I am convinced that water is getting into the wall, running down behind the tile and out at the floor. The porcelain tile is on 1/2" cement board which is over a membrane. The tile floor is Corian and has a "bathtub" basin built-in. The "bathtub seems to be containing the water as I am not getting any leakage on the ceiling below. The grout has been sealed several times with a good sealer (TileLab SurfaceGard Penetrating Sealer). One problem I'm aware of...the "shelf" you see at the top of the wall is not sloped enough and is flat in places. I squeegee and towel dry the "shelf" immediately after each use, but it doesn't seem to help... Any ideas how the water is getting into the wall and what my next course of action should be?? Thanks.
Attached Images

cocodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

If it is getting behind the shelf, I see little that can be done except to remove the shelftop tiles and re-set them with a slight slope.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
IOU12

This is only a DIYers comment.

Is this not the reason why Mr. Bridge prefers to grout that area as opposed to the accepted method of caulking. Won't the grout allow the water to escape as well as dry out between showers. Even the best of silicone caulks will turn to mush if exposed to water all the time. If water is getting in there it just needs a way out.
Unread 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
cocodm

Thanks. I've thought about recaulking or regrouting with weep holes at the bottom to let water out, but I guess that is just a band-aid that doesn't fix the real problem.
Unread 02-26-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
oogabooga

Silicone caulk won't fall apart if constantly exposed to water, but acrylic caulk certainly will. I found Tilelab stuff to be pretty much rubbish too, certainly doesn't do a good job of resisting stains that's for sure. Is it the caulk that's causing the staining or is it leaching out of the grout?

Rob.
oogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 11:05 PM   #6
cocodm

It's the caulk that's leaching not the grout.
Unread 02-29-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
oogabooga

When the silicone was applied, was the joint thoroughly cleaned out and allowed to dry? Even water getting behind properly adhered silicone is unlikely to cause it to budge. May be give it another go, remove as much existing caulking as possible so the silicone can get into the gap between wall and floor, allow it to dry for a day or two (if possible) and see how it goes. Make sure you use 100% silicone not that siliconized crap.

Rob.
oogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

How is the glass installed? Glass guys usually know not to drill holes thru the top of the wall but some will anyway.

What type of membrane was used? Did it cover the top of the wall?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase