Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-22-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
AlexLNB7

Tiling over old wall

Wondering if anyone had any advice on this:

I am remodeling the bathroom and have replaced all of the walls except for one. The one wall that I have not replaced is the wall that faces the outside of the house and the reason for this is that it is full of blown in insulation. I had to remove some of it to put up the cement board in the shower but this stuff gets everywhere and is a complete mess. I am not going to rip the rest of it down and was wondering what is the best course of action for tiling it. It previously had tile attached to it which I removed. What is the best adhesive to use to put the tile on this portion of the bathroom? It isnt smooth like new greenboard since the tile was pulled off. A hardware store told me to just prime the wall with primer and use mastic. I was looking for a second opinion and wasnt sure if thinset would be better than mastic, any thoughts?
AlexLNB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Alex,

I presume this is the same project as your other thread . If so, you should keep all posts on that project in the original thread. Any new posts to that thread bump it to the top of the queue, so it will be seen.

You don't want to use mastic for the reasons I stated before: Your tiles are natural stone (marble) , and large.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase