Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
dkkiley22
Dennis

reuse mud bed?

I'm brand new to posting so please be be patient with me. Ive done a little tile work over the years, but never a floor, so I don't have much experience. I'm remodeling my bathroom, about 5'x7'. The floor construction is: 2x10 joists spaning about 12', 1x3 cleats nailed to the joists 1/2" below top edge of the joists, 1/2" plywood cut to fit between the joists and nailed to the cleats. So the floor is 1/2" plywood that's flush with the top of the joists. On top of that is about 1-1/4" cement (mud?) bed w/wire mesh topped with small (1"-2" square) ceramic tile. I've chipped off the tile, it came up pretty easily, and the bed appears to be in very good shape, feels very solid, no cracks, pretty smooth except that the paper from the back of the tile (cut back?) doesn't want to scrap off. My question of course is can I reuse the bed and just put my new tile over it. Is the paper I can't get scraped off a problem. Any special technique involved, or just thinset and go.
Or should I rip it all out and start fresh with plywood/cement board, etc. Sorry to be so long winded but this construction seems kinda weird to me, I hope I described it ok. Thanks alot for any tips/advice you can give me.
dkkiley22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Hello and Welcome, gotta first name?
The paper is likely form the mosaics you took off, right? Looks like a black sheet with holes on it? They used to mount them like that. How old of a house is this?

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
dkkiley22
Dennis

Thanks Brad, the house is about 30yrs old
Unread 02-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
dkkiley22
Dennis

Sorry, I'm typing before thinking, my name is Dennis and yeah I'm sure the paper is backing from mosiac tile
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Dennis,
You can go to User CP, hit Edit Signature, and put your name in the dialog bow so it will appear each time you post. If the bed is indeed without cracks and is in good shape you can tile over it. Can you provide a pic?

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
dkkiley22
Dennis

I'm pretty good at a lot of things but computer skills is definetly not on the list, so I don't know about posting a picture but I'll see what I can do.
You say if the bed is in good shape, without cracks, I can go ahead over it. Are there any other considerations, type of thinset, etc. that I should know about. - THANKS

" a man has got to know his limitations " - Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase