Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-22-2003, 03:50 PM   #1
Bakstge

Granite over Granite Floor...

Greetings,
Here is my plan. In the bathroom I have a Granite floor that are 12x12 tiles imbedded in a cement floor. The floor is level but the granite is scratched and the gloss finish is worn off. I have the height to add up to 3/4 of an inch. What I would like to do is install 12x12 directly over this old granite with thinset. Or the other option was to lay down a 1/4 hardibacker with thinset and no screws then granite right over that. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-22-2003, 04:06 PM   #2
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
If every thing is soild. (well bonded) then yes. Remove soap ,wax,oil,ect. from existing tile surface. Follow thin-set mfg. written directions. tca datail712-02 (pg. 36 2002 )
Unread 01-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #3
Bakstge

This sounds good for a direct tile over on the granite, how about a thought on the Hardibacker with just thinset on the old granite and no screws to secure. Is the thinset enough of a bond if this is the route I wanted to go?
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #4
Cisco
Long Island (NY) Stone setter

I would give the floor a good wahsing with TSP and then do a muriatic acid wash to etch the surface of the old granite. You need a good wash first to remove old grim and stuff. If the floor is solid I wouldnt feel the need to install a backerboard.

Cisco...
Cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
Dog paws
Tileman

In addition to using mortar, backerboards need to be mechanically fastened to the subfloor using nails or screws. Don't use a CBU for your situation.
Dog paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Backstage, Welcome.

Clean it, scrub it, take a belt sander to it if you have one. Remove all the dust and use a very high flex modified thin set. Flex Bond is one that is sold at Home Depot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
Bakstge

Excellent,
You guys have gave me the advice I am looking for. I will be applying FLEXBOND to the original granite floor then lay my new granite. After of course, I clean, scrub and sand the old granite.

On another question, do you think I would be ok with following the same seam pattern of the granite or should I offset about an inch in both directions so the seams arent the same as the old granite. Again, Thank you for all your help.
Unread 01-22-2003, 07:53 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
The location of the joints (seams) won't matter. Just achieve the best looking layout possible.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #9
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Why not just have it polished??
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2003, 10:04 PM   #10
Bakstge

Kem,
The entire bathroom has been gutted at this point and the Granite that is on the floor used to be on the walls and shower was the ugliest 80's Scarface looking tile you have ever seen. According to the previous homeowner, the tile "fell of a truck" from a Trump job in the 80's.
Unread 01-22-2003, 10:16 PM   #11
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

LOL

But restore it and in 5 years you will have that "retro" look that Eurythmics fans would travel the seven seas for
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase