Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-21-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
LadyDee

Question Age Old Grout vs Caulking Question

The contractor from hell has to come back and do some repairs on my bathroom remodel. The tiled tub surround had grout cracking in the corners where the walls meet. These cracks go from the top to the bottom of the surround. In the corner adjacent to the shower head, the crack extends up to the wall above the surround.

Now I just know he'll send somebody out here with a tube of caulk. But, this tile job is only about 6 weeks old. Why would these cracks show up already? I read previous posts about how the corners should be prepped (membrane tape, etc). I'm willing to bet thats not what is under that tile job. I know that CBU is the substrate because I insisted on it and watched it go up.

Tell me how to proceed........pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaasssseeeeee.
<Plus, ya'll just make me look so darn smart when I have to talk to these folks......drives em insane>
LadyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #2
bbcamp

I was gonna say that he shoulda used caulk to begin with, but I noticed that you said the crack extends up the wall (above the tile, I assume?). This leads me to believe there is a structural problem, like the studs in that corner are warping, which can occur this soon (drying to the house environment). The framing should have been nailed along the length of the stud to prevent this, however. Let's see what the tile and the construction pros have to say...
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think Bob hit the nail on the head (bad pun). They might not have nailed up the corner studs, and that will cause the drywall to crack in the corners. On the tile, though, all the backer board guys around here (and the Tile Council of America) recommend caulking in corners instead of grout. Make sure they dig all the old grout out before they caulk.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase