Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-17-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
Big Al

Combining Thinsets

I am in the process of tiling a shower enclosure. I've put up 1/2 " Durock CBU and taped the seams with alkali-resist tape and used Latticrete 317 Floor'n Wall to cover the tape. I have used this on our 1st bathroom and had enough left over to do the taping.

Since doing this, I've been ready the info on this website (great job to all! This website is outstanding) and seen that Custom's Versabond comes highly recommended. I've purchased a bag of the material.

After purchsing the material, I've noticed that its recommended to use the same thinset for the wall tiles as was used for the taping. My question is: Is this a "MUST", or a "recommended" approach.

Do the two refuse to bond properly and cause premature failure?

Will it be "ok", though maybe not recommended to use the Versabond over the latticrete 317 seams?? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for a great site.
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-17-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Dog paws
Tileman

Big Al

Press on, your fine with the two diff. thinsets.
What the instructions are refering to is to use thinset to tape the seams vs. drywall compound etc.
Dog paws is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase