Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-16-2003, 02:16 PM   #1
Bartj

Talking Tile Removal

Now I have done it.! I did such a great job with tiling the bathroom (with great help from the forum I might add) that my wife, right out of the blue last night, asked "how hard would it be to replace the tile in the kitchen?" I told her "sledge hammer hard!" We have a large kitchen (eat in area) It is about 15' x 25'. They are 12" X 12" tiles over a mud base. The tiles are under the cabinets and appliances. I told her we could maybe consider it if we every decide to completely redo the kitchen. Just out of curisosity, was I far off about the sledge hammer? How would you go about removing the tiled floor I described? Do you end up destroying the mud base? Just curious.
Bartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Bart,

Unless the original installation is defective, I would simply tile over what's there. It'll raise your floor the thickness of the new tiles, but I'd rather not think about having to tear out a mud job right now.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #3
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Doh!

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Mike Nelson

How do you tile right over an existing tile floor, do you have to do anything to the tile to get thinset to adhere? I've torn out an old floor with a hammer drill with a chisel attachment and it was easy, granted it was a small bathroom. But it was fairly painless.

Mike
Mike Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2003, 05:04 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Mike,

Depends on the tiles, but every manufacturer that makes thin set makes one that is ultra-sticky and super strong that will virtually bond anything to anything, and they guarantee it. The important thing is to get the original tile squeaky clean.

I've torn out my share of mud jobs, and you're right. Some are relatively easy, and some are back-breakers, but the point is why, if you don't have to?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase