Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
JAG1569

Slate On Concrete Front Porch

Just starting and have a few questions. Porch is 6' X 35', concrete with brick borders. I want to install slate so which kind do I buy, honed or guaged? Do I need to use backerboard and felt? ( the porch is over a crawl space so the slab does not touch the ground ) There is a small settling crack that I need to repair but I need to know what product to use for this application. Also, which grout is best? thanks, Jerry
JAG1569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jerry, Welcome aboard.

I'm curious about the structure -- reinforced concrete over a crawl space. I don't think I've ever run into that in residential. In any case, no backerboard. You could use a membrane such as Schluter Ditra. http://www.schluter.com
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Might look something like this, John. This was a rental unit I owned. It had a concrete porch with a crawl space you could access from the basement.
Attached Images

Unread 03-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jerry.

We had us one of those a while back, JB. I think that one was pre-stressed concrete panels over concrete/block walls and you could actually walk under part of it. front was kinda like that picher Dan posted with a walk-up, I think. Got noooo eye-dee how to find it, though. And no eye-dee what we tole that fella to do with his, neither.

If it's already got cracks, you've got some considerations there. Any of the cracks higher on one side than the other?

And if you're in a freeze/thaw region, you might wanna re-think that slate. This porch is open to the weather?
Quote:
I want to install slate so which kind do I buy, honed or guaged?
Those are two completely different characteristics of the material, Jerry. I'll let one of our Stoners 'splain that, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
JAG1569

Yes, it looks like that. Cape Cod style.[IMG]\\rrhs01-207486\users\jerryg\My Documents\My Pictures\136 HIDDEN LAKE[/IMG] maybe it came through...
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
JAG1569

yeah, we're in north Georgia so there is some freezing. It is open to the weather. What would be a better choice of materials? crack is small, 1/8" and even on both sides.

Last edited by JAG1569; 03-10-2007 at 09:55 AM. Reason: adding answer to question
Unread 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Unless you can find a really good quality, fully metamorphosed slate (you will most likely NOT find this at Lowes or Home Depot), I would suggest you look for a slate look porcelain tile.

The stuff you buy at the big boxes are most often geologic shales and are not good for use anywhere they could get wet or exposed to wide temperature changes.

A dense, hard slate - similar to what they would use for roofing purposes - would be an OK choice for your porch.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase