Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
crossthreaded

Another subfloor thread

Have been posting over at terry love but decided to give this place a shot for my actual tile/tiling questions.

I have 1/2 boards, and 3/4 t and g as my subfloor now. I have to run a new wetvent under the floor and there is water damage around the flange so I will be ripping up all the old subfloor and putting down new.

Will 5/8 and 1/2 be sufficient? or should I count on going with 3/4 for the first layer. also is osb suitable for the first layer to offset some of the cost? If not I have no problem spending the extra.

It will have 1/2 hardibacker put ontop of that.

I do not want to have a huge step up to the bathroom floor.

It is a small bathroom, 88 1/2 square and I will be using those little octagon tiles with square accents.
crossthreaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
crossthreaded

I was also just thinking that I could just cut an access channel to the wet vent with my sawzall and then replace with a like thickness board, then lay down one layer of 5/8 or 3/4 ply on top of that, then my hardibacker. I think as long as no one screams stop to me on this one that is what I'm going to be doing.
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Mike2

How about adding a few more words to clarify the make-up of your existing sub-floor:
Quote:
I have 1/2 boards, and 3/4 t and g as my subfloor now.
So does that mean if you go with option two above you will have 3 layers of flooring? A 1/2" board layer, one 3/4" T&G plywood layer, plus another 5/8" or 3/4" layer?

Then is there a particular reason why you are planning to use 1/2" CBU instead of 1/4"?

Welcome to the Forum by the way. And how about a first name to call you?

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
crossthreaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude
So does that mean if you go with option two above you will have 3 layers of flooring? A 1/2" board layer, one 3/4" T&G plywood layer, plus another 5/8" or 3/4" layer?
no I'm not leaving the boards and t & g unless I can cut the access channel. If I can't do that then I will rip it all up and put down all new subflooring.

and the half inch because I already bought 6 sheets of it and don't want to carry it back down the stairs and return it.

I just talked to a plumber buddy of mine and got a game plan for roughing in the
new lines for the tub. I think I will just cut an access slot into the base planks for the drain line to the tub and then replace with a board/s of the same thickness.

So what thickness ply should I lay on top of the 1/2 boards? (i will measure them to make sure they are 1/2")

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase