Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2003, 04:21 PM   #1
gary1964

Unhappy Patio problems!

Help, I have a large concrete patio that is old, cracked & faded & its surrounds my inground pool. I want to lay over the concrete either a outdoor tile or some kind of stone thats as easy as laying down tile(12 inch or 16 inch squares and roughly all the same thickness.) My questions are: whats out there thats is low price and can stand up to pool water, temperature change and does not get too hot to walk on in the sun. Also how many expansions joints do I need. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
gary1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
bbcamp

Hi, Gary, Welcome Aboard!

First off, you live in New York, and I heard it gets cold there. That kinda rules out slate, and besides, it might be a little slick.

Ceramic tile will work, so will quarry tile. The color you choose will determine how hot they get in the sun. But your real problem is the cracked concrete. I should know, I have the same problems, 'cept I live in beautiful, East Tennessee!

The problem with the cracks is that you cant really fix them good enough for a tile job. You can try crack isolation membranes, but if the crack is larger than 1/4", or has vertical separation, or is still growing, the membrane will eventually fail and take the tile with it.

And if you do manage to isolate the crack, you will need a drainage mat under the tile, 'cause the grout will pass water thru and if the water freezes, your tiles will pop off. At this point, you'll have spent a wad and haven't laid a single tile yet.

Not knowing the condition of your deck, other than what you've said, I'd recommend you do what I'm doing. I am sealing up the cracks with a vinyl concrete crack sealer (like a drive-way crack sealer, only gray for concrete). When the concrete gets bad enough, I'll rip it out (actually hire some strong backs/weak minds to do it for me) and place new, stained concrete in its place. I'll pay more attention to expansion joints, and I'll double check the drainage bed of gravel under the slab. Then I'll live with the cracks. Because it's concrete's nature to crack.

Bob, in beautiful East Tennessee
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Gary, Welcome.

Bob knows whence he speaks. That's how we conned him into joining us. He came on here with some lame idea about tiling over a broken up pool deck in beautiful East Tennesee. We talked him out of it.

Seriously, if the deck is broken up, you're waisting money trying to fix it permanently. There simply is no permanent repair on a broken concrete slab.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #4
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Hi Gary, y'all from Noth New Yawk or down South?

Whut kinda contractin you do?

For a change those Texas and Tenn. good ol boys got it right!

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
rj
da Versa-tile Guy -- Official Keeper of the JB Forums Album

Hi Gary, I know quickcrete makes a resurfacing product for slabs,
but the application depends on the condition of your present slab, where are you located in this great state ?
I ,ve done quite a bit of concrete work myself..lookie what I just picked up on ebay about a month ago....
Attached Images

Unread 01-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #6
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

For price, beauty and longevity, you cant beat a good overlay. Not Quickcrete either, it is not a professional product. Check with your local masonry or concrete supply stores for what is popular in your area. If you strike out, I can reccomend something to ya.

Repair your cracks with an epoxy (also from your masonry store). There is a good chance that the movement has stopped if it is an old slab. Broadcast sand onto the tacky epoxy for the overlay to bite to. Wait about 3 days then overlay. You can overlay with a solid color, or acid stain for a very unique look. If you acid stain, and it does crack later, it does not look bad at all, just adds to it. Dont use green or blue stains, they will turn black from your pool water. Browns, reds and tans are your only options then. But they are great!

Here is a self-leveler, scored, stained and grouted. My first pick here!

Best

Tim
Attached Images

kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 07:21 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

That's beautiful, Tim.

But there is just as good a chance the movement has NOT stopped.
Unread 01-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Unfortunately, up here in the Northeast, unless you're anchored below the frost line (usually 4-6 feet in the ground) the movement is seasonal, which means it NEVER stops. as it freezes, it'll push up, and when it thaws, it'll settle down again. My dad had the same kind of problem when I was a kid-- when we had our pool installed, they poured concrete, and then he used an acrylic exposed aggregate terrazzo for the finish. It looked great----- for the first year, anyway!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 06:59 AM   #9
bbcamp

Hey, Bill! If you want to, you can add your website address as a signature line. No extra charge!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Yeah, then you can list your home town instead of "given at my web site."

In the signature block of your profile you can make a live link to the site.

I've got a minute. I'll do it for you. You will need to check the "show signature" block at the bottom of the reply form next time you post.

Last edited by John Bridge; 01-10-2003 at 07:33 AM.
Unread 01-10-2003, 11:31 PM   #11
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Wink

John-- thanks for the help-- the other forum that I go to, I posted my website on every reply I sent in the first day, and was banned for 24 hours as a result. That's why I did it the way I did. I'm the best-- just ask me, but I don't want to rub everybody's nose in it!! *LOL*

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com
Unread 01-10-2003, 11:36 PM   #12
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Also, some time in the near future, my site's going to get a total revamping. The pics on that site are up to 10 years old, and I've got alot of better pics to post than what's there. Just an example, the eagle I spoke of in Emily's string. I'm just waiting for my wife to finish building HER site, and then she's going to redo mine (she does collector fashion doll makeovers)

Unread 01-11-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Bill,

I've been banned from the Garden Web for placing links to pictures of plants I have posted on this site. I've since been reinstated, but I can't reference my site. I think they're a little screwed up on their philosophy, but hey . . .

We've allowed commercial posting from the onset, and it hasn't hurt us a bit. We've grown so fast in so short a time that I think our philosophy is on track. I'm not afraid of losing anyone to a link, and one of these days you'll make a link back to us on your site.
Unread 01-11-2003, 02:09 PM   #14
greg ziegler
Concrete Contractor

If your looking for a cheap and quick way out so there is no tear-out try a Deck-coat it comes in 25 colors trowel a base coat and you could spray the second coat and knock it down with a trowel. saw cut at the joints. deck-coat is polymer resin and not that expensive but beware! make sure you have the pool covered and anything else because it sticks to anything. it also hides cracks pretty descent it also is about 10 degrees cooler on the bare feet for a little more money you can buy adhesive stencils to get that brick or tile look
greg ziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 05:23 PM   #15
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

John-- count on it-- As a matter of fact, if you want to have your web master (or you) send me your logo with a hyper link, I'll install it when we renovete.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase