Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
koomo510

wall taping questions

Hi. I keep reading about the importance of not taping newly hung backerboard until you are actually tiling. As somebody with practically no taping experience (other than what I learn from taping the sheetrock in the rest of the bathroom prior to working with the backerboard), is this something a newbie would be able to handle? I would otherwise tend to do it beforehand just because I don't know wheteher I am skilled enough to handle taping and tiling at the same time. Anyways, here are some questions:

1) Is this something a newbie can do?
2) Do you need to do anything other than apply the alkili resistant tape with thinset, or do you need to smooth out the area around the taped region with thinset like the similar regions on a sheetrock wall get smoothed with joint compound so the tape isn't noticeable?
2) Do you do all types of seems at the time of tiling, including backerboard to backerboard, and backerboard to sheetrock, where they meet either at a wall to ceiling?

Thanks for the advice...

Mark
koomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Mark,

I found taping as I tile to be way easier than any drywall taping I ever did. The mesh tape is mildly sticky, so it will stay on the seam long enough for you to trowel over it Other than being careful not to snag it with the trowel, you're really done after you've stuck it on. Wait until right before you trowel to stick it though. Like I said, it's mildly sticky - it won't stay up by itself for very long.
Unread 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Wiley
Veteran DIYer - Schluterville Graduate

.....or taping ahead of time is fine, too. You don't need to feather it out like drywall because your using just enough to fill the crack and get the tape to hold. You don't want to create and kind of bump, keep it flat. That's why people like to do it as they tile, less chance of a hump.
Unread 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
koomo510

thanks for the advice fellas. so, it is right that backerboard/drywall seams are handled the same way as backerboard/backerboard seams, with the alkili-resistant mesh tape and thinset?....
koomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

That's correct, Mark. And, you want to make sure that those seams end up under tiles.

Last edited by ddmoit; 03-06-2007 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling
ddmoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
JohnP

How about this

Not to hijack a thread, but I have a question about this. My surround is already covered in Hardi. It is not yet taped. I plan to overlay this with Kerdi. Do I still need to tape the seams even if using Kerdi? If yes, as with tile, is there any harm in taping as I apply the Kerdi?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

That's a completely different issue, John, and would be a lot less confusing over on your bathroom thread, please.

No, you wouldn't tape those joints.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase