Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
mgb_mets

Fill beneath threshold?

Good afternoon. I have a question (hopefully relatively simple) that I'm sure someone can help with. I retiled my master bath this weekend, tiling ceramic atop an existing (3/4" thick) mortar bad. I had removed the old tile, and removed an existing marble threshold (5", 'hollywood' style with one ramped edge; when I took it out the mortared 'ramp' below came out with it) at the transition to the carpeted bedroom. Now I have a five inch gap and need toreplace the threshold. I have a new threshold that matches the old.

My question: what is the best way to 'build up' beneath the threshold to to the proper height? I don't think thinset can be applied that thick, correct (3/4" mortar+thinset+tile on the high side) Even with the angled side on the threshold it will have to be installed at a pitch to make the transition. I don't have any experience laying out mortar or anything, and am relatively new to all this, so the simpler the better. Are there any premixed products that I can trowel down and make the proper ramp foundation?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Matt
mgb_mets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Why not just build-up the missing mud bed under that threshold with a layer of plywood?

You mentioned pre-mixed products. They aren't a wise choice for the floor (or for a number of locations for that matter). I'm hoping your new floor tiles aren't stuck down with a pre-mixed mastic.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
mgb_mets

Thanks for the quick response.

No, I used a conventional thinset for applying the new tile.
Are you suggesting that I should build and nail down a plywood 'ramp' foundation, then thinset the marble directly to that?
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Welcome Matt,
Just had to say that..... Like you haven't heard that before... My son's name is Matt too.....

Like Bubba said, we hope you didn't use any premixed thinset (Mastic) on your other tiles.. Thinset in dry form is easy to mix and galaxies better...

Drying is the problem with Mastic - it takes forever.. Are you still able to move the tiles?

Last edited by MudMaker; 03-05-2007 at 05:51 PM.
MudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

It won't hold so great over time if you thinset it directly to plywood. Build up the ramp with plywood nailed in position. Then use thinset to install a piece of cementboard or Ditra......then install the marble with thinset.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
mgb_mets

I haven't checked today, but it has been 48 hours since I laid the last tile. I don't think there will be any movement when I get home and check.
Unread 03-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You should be fine...you just threw the others when you mentioned premixed to try to set the theshold...sounds like maybe a piece of 1/2" ply, 1/4" cbu may be about right to get the threshold where you want it. If the amount of thinset is less than 1/4", regular stuff would be fine. If you need more than that, consider 1/2" cbu or a bag of medium set mortar - it has more sand in it and can be installed thicker - typically up to 3/4", but you need to check the specs to be sure.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Matt,

Quote:
No, I used a conventional thinset for applying the new tile.
Great!!!!! You musta been typin the same time I was axing...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase