Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
ScottIdaho
carpenter, tile contractor

Scott's Hakatai shower projects

My name is Scott, and I am finishing a home in which I have done a lot of floor tiling and some wall tiling. For two shower projects I will be using Hakatai Carter series glass tiles (1/8" thick, about 3/4" x 3/4" tiles on a mesh backing). The manufacturer recommends a modified thinset and a latex additive on manufacturer instructions received with the tile. Typically, I use the white Versabond thinset from HD. I will be using Kerdi for both of these showers and wonder what the pros recommend in regards to an additive to the modified thinset.

I have completed some other tilework in the house using this same tile and the white Versabond with no additive.

Thanks in advance.
ScottIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-03-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I would advise you to stick to their thinset recommendations. The Custom product they recommend is MegaFlex.

http://www.hakatai.com/XQ/ASP/ID.101...on/QX/Page.htm
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
ScottIdaho

Thanks

Thanks Dan. The instructions they included in the box did not include the specific material recommendations that are included in your link.

I appreciate the help.
Unread 03-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
ddmoit

I just stuck thousands of those little glass buggers on the floor, walls, and ceiling of my downstairs bathroom. I did not use Kerdi (I will next time) so I can't offer any experienced advice for that. I used MegaFlex and MegaLite to set my glass mosaics. They are both really nice products, but the MegaLite was particularly easy to use. I'm pretty sure that Schluter would not approve the use of either of those thinsets on Kerdi though.

There's concern about the latex/acrylic additives of the of the modified being able to cure beneath and on top of Kerdi. John Bridge has opined that the multiple grout lines of the mosaic tile should reduce if not eliminate that problem though. I wish I had a link for that; you'll have to take my word.

Here's a link to my project thread:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=45394
Unread 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
sandbagger

from what I've seen in the glass tile discussions the consensus seems to be to go with the tile vendor's instructions. But I have to say the bit about adding modifier to an already modified thinset is interesting. And I'm not sure Schluter would care much. Remember that the reason for the unmodified recommendation is you've got thinset sandwiched between two impervious materials. That makes for an awful slow cure for the modified thinset under large tiles. But we're talking 1x1 mosaics here - plenty of opportunity to breathe. I'd do what the glass tile manufacturer says - assuming you can figure out what that is.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
ScottIdaho

Need help with tile thickness

The Kerdi drain I am using in my two showers specifies 1/4" minimum tile thickness (from Schluter, the Kerdi-Drain "accommodates a wide range of tile thicknesses 1/4" to 1 1/4"). The Hakatai glass mosaics are only 1/8" thick. I need some suggestions as to how to use these two products together. Otherwise, it seems that water will sit pooled unable to get over the drain lip.

So far, I have tiled and grouted the walls and have created the mud beds. Need to just Kerdi the bed, tile and grout it, but I have some concern about this 1/4" tile problem.

Help please.
Attached Images

Unread 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
ddmoit

Scott,

I had the same problem with a non-Kerdi drain (my project thread is linked a few posts up). I ended up having to tile over my first layer of tile. I hope you find a better solution.

By the way, your tiles look great so far. I used the same tile in your first pic on my bathroom floor, walls, and ceiling.
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
bikemike

Hi Scott,

I'm here because I found the title of your post was interesting. I thought maybe posting from Hakatai, Japan? Now I know.

How tall is that curb in your first pic? Looks awful high - am I wrong, or is there a reason for it?

Great looking tiles
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
wrays1rb

Hey scott i am going to be in the same boat in a week or two, i have'nt figured out how i'am going to do mine yet either. I am going with bizzaza mosaic, same size tiles as yours. But question for you, how did you cut your tiles?
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #10
ScottIdaho

Curb height

That first gray tile project is not a human shower. the curb is 13". It was going to be a human shower facing the other way to the bathroom, until I opened it up to the laundry/mud room. Now, we will hang wet snow clothes, wash dirty kids, dirty dogs, dirty boots, etc... It is only 24" x 38".

Dan, before posting I did read your posts on drain height. Of course, the Kerdi drain is different, so I need some recommendations in regard to it specifically. I would prefer not to tile the floor twice, but it is obviously a solution.

BTW Dan, your bathroom looks great. Good tile choice. I've attached a pic of one of my other bathrooms.

Ideas on Kerdi drain height in relation to this tile still welcome please.
Attached Images

Unread 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #11
ScottIdaho

to cut tiles

Ray, I use a pair of hand cutters that Hakatai sells via their web site for cuts that will not be obvious. For cuts that will be real obvious along a long line, I hold a mosaic sheet and run the line of tiles through my wet saw at a slow pace. I may use a push board to push the tiles through in a straight line.
Unread 03-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
river-wear

nice work!

Sorry I don't have any useful advice, but I had to say - great job on the showers and tub surround! They're beautiful!

"Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." - FDR
river-wear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
ScottIdaho

still need pro's ideas

I still need ideas on how to match 1/8" thick tiles to the Kerdi drain, which specifies adjustability for 1/4" to 1 1/4" tiles. I could tile the floor twice (don't want to), I could trowel a layer of thinset and let it dry and then tile on that to build up to desired height, but I would be concerned with my ability to float thinset without creating birdpaths or other drainage irregularities.

Ideas?
Unread 03-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #14
ddmoit

Scott,

I thought of the same thing, but would also be concerned about getting the thickness consistent. The other thought I entertained for your issue was laying down 1/4" Hardi. I'm sure there's a good reason not to do this, but I can't think of it right now.

Perhaps the best solution is to recess the drain 1/8" somehow. I don't know enough about the Kerdi drain to say how though.

Finally, you can't be the first person to encounter this issue on this board. Surely someone can come forth with their solution to the problem.
Unread 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #15
thydroc

Scott & Dan,

I have a thought about getting a skim coat into a consistent layer. It may not work,but it is a thought.

first, determine how thick your skim layer needs to be

second, find a square notched trowel that matches this thickness, or modify a larger notch to your desired depth.

third, lay a nice clean layer of notched thinset on the floor and let cure

fourth, using the dried notches as a screed, fill your voids to flush

Any thoughts from the pros?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase