Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
GabeS

Which of these two methods is stronger?

Hi,

I was having a debate with my father. We were talking about building a level base for a boiler on top of a concrete slab in a basement.

He says to: Pour fine sand on the floor area. Spray it down damp with a hose. Wait fifteen minutes and spray it again. Place 24" square brick pavers on top of the sand bed and tap them level.

I say to: Thinset the floor, dump deck mud on top of thinset, thinset back of brick pavers after dampening them with a sponge, and level and set them on top of deck mud.

My theory is that the cement in the sandmix would make it stronger than just the plain old sand. He says that his way is how the Egyptians built the pyramids(without cement) and they lasted thousands of years. Some opinions please. Thanks.
GabeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #2
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Well I think the Egyptians carved there way down to bedrock too...I guess you could look at it two ways. Sand beds, if contained wetted and compacted correctly ,can bear tremendous loads..In the case of sand set and interlocking pavers, they take load very well.I think we're talking two differnet types of forces though.It would seem in your case your looking for a platform that is static.

How heavy is this thing? If it's not like something off "modern marvels" then it sounds to me like sand & cement bonded to the existing slab would be fine. You can tell him most of Rome was built out of that.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Rob Z

Gabe

Your Dad's method will work, but it needs to be contained around the perimter. How thick is this going to be? If 3 or 4 inches is OK, why not form it and pour a concrete pad, bonded to the existing slab with thinset and latex?

Good luck debating with Dad.
Unread 03-04-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Talking

Ya and tell me how that debate goes too...my dad is my bussiness partner and has been my teacher since I was a tiny tile guy...He's also a Areonautical Engineer so he arugues about anything...Dad pride is tough to beat

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Rob Z

10-4 Trask...currently experiencing that right now at my house.
Unread 03-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
GabeS

Thanks for the feedback. You're right about Dad's pride. It's impossible to prove them wrong even if you're right. LOL.
GabeS is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase