Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
RickC

A Newbie Thinset Question

Hi, I have a question about thinset consistency please. I installed wall tile in my shower this weekend. All the prep seems fine, I had the contractor install the membrane, greenboard, and Hardibacker. My question is about how thick the thinset should be when mixed. The instructions on the package say that you should be able to trowel ridges in it without the ridges slumping over. Mine was thick enough for that. However, it just seemed a bit thinner than some of the pics I see here and on other sites.

So, if the thinset was just thick enough so that trowel ridges stood up fine, is that good enough? What are the downsides of it being on the thin side - will the tiles start falling off? Will that happen right away? Is there some test you would recommend I do to see if the tiles ar going to hold up?

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!
-Rick
RickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Hi Rick,
Welcome to the Forum....
What thinset did you use? Did you wipe with a damp sponge the Hardi prior to thinset?
It sounds like you'll be just fine.. When the ridges start saggin immediately you would be on the thin side, but if they stood their ground it'll be OK..
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
RickC

Thinset

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the response! I used Custom brand VersaBond modified thinset. I did not wipe the Hardiboard beforehand. If it was mixed to be too thin, would the tiles just start falling off after a couple of days?

Best regards,
Rick
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If you have more to tile, wipe the Hardi prior to putting up the thinset. Using excess water can make the thinset weaker, but you should be fine if it was holding ridges.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
RickC

Thanks for the reply, Jim!
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Rick,
What Jim said...

Dampening the Hardi prior to thinset is just a precaution so that the Hardi doesn't suck the water out of the thinset and become dry too fast. If your thinset held ridges and it hadn't skimmed over you will be just fine.
Actually, since the thinset was a little toward the thin side, and not wiping with a damp sponge may have been in you favor...

I don't believe the tiles will start falling off - sounds like you did well...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase