Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
jrkuller

saw blade recommedation

Hello guys. Let me first say this site is great. It gave me the courage to do a shower with a mud floor(which turned out fantastic).
My question is, I need a new blade for my new TM-75 saw. Im looking at the MK 415 or the Felker TM-6. The new blade that came with it is no good and Im going to be cutting porcelain and glass. I know they are both super premium blades with the MK being $30 more. Is that for a reason?

Thanks for the help.

Josh
jrkuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Jack 1

Josh, Just a question about your saw. I'm considering buying a saw like yours, but wanted to know can you run the saw with a profile blade?
Jack 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
Barry Warring

Hey Josh

I recently tiled the downstairs of my house w/ 1/4" thick, 13" porcelain tile. I used a TM-75 that I bought at the TYW link from this site. I actually didn't even try the stock blade that came w/ the saw, as I had already researched and then purchased a TM-5 blade for the saw (I had read that the TM-6 was not a good blade for the relatively low HP of the TM-75). The blade was delivered 3 days (!) after I ordered it from TYW and the S/H was free.
We did most of the tiling in a diagonal pattern which required numerous long cuts of the tiles. I don't have anything to compare the blade or saw to, but they were both great. The saw cut the tiles diagonally w/ a 180 degree flip halfway through the cut and the blade cut at a quick speed w/ no chipping. I didn't need to dress it at all and the last cut was as nice as the first (we did about 600 sq. ft. of tile). I used some 100 grit sandpaper to smooth down the cut edges where they are exposed and you can't tell by looking or feeling where the tiles were cut. Hope this helps.

Barry
Barry Warring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #4
jrkuller

"Josh, Just a question about your saw. I'm considering buying a saw like yours, but wanted to know can you run the saw with a profile blade?"

Jack, I dont know if a profile blade would work but I wouldn't mind knowing the answer myself.
The saw works great BTW. I had(still have) a MK 470 and prefer the TM-75 much better. So quiet and nice straight cuts.

Thanks Barry for the insight

Josh
jrkuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
sgrandjean
Healthcare Consultant and Boxer Rescue Volunteer

Jack,

The short answer to your question about using the TM-75 with a profile blade is no. There is no height adjustment to compensate for the smaller diameter profile wheel. I've had my saw for almost a year, and I love it...cuts through porcelain, travertine ad limestone like a hot knife through butter.

Cheers.
Unread 03-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #6
J.Hardy

Just bolted up an MK Hot Dog blade to my TM 75 today. It is working very nice cutting porceline tile.

Jim
J.Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #7
jrseaberg

Location: Decatur, IL. 1914 Prarie Style, balloon framed, 2.5 story brick veneer, tile roof
adjustment?

What if you elevated the sliding table height by adding a properly sized bed of plywood? I have never used a profile blade, but I did have to use a radial arm saw once with a broken adjustment assemby. A 1/2" piece of ply under the board to be cut worked OK.

(This may be just a wacky idea... I don't even know what the diameter of a profile blade would be

Jim

p.s. I just used my recently purchased MK75 for the first time. Like the saw, not impressed with the blade.

(from one of my messages in another thread)
In one of my threads, I had asked about a blade for cutting porcelain. It was suggested that I contact Rick or Joe at Construction Complete (800-899-0661). (By the way, they had good, friendly service, and I had the blade two days later, and NO shipping charge! )

I had been looking at a TM-5, but Joe steered me to the TM7 ($44.00), so that is what I bought. I haven't used it yet, still in the package; I'll probably get some cutting time later this week. I'll come back with a report.

"Life is Good!" but will be even better when I don't have to shower in the basement!
jrseaberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase