Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
carrie brooklyn

Temporary fix for damaged bathroom floor linoleum?

The bathroom floor of the rental apartment in our house is damaged; linoleum around the tub is in pieces and the subfloor looks like it's been soaked. We're going to replace the whole floor this summer but need a quick fix to last six months or so. Any ideas?
carrie brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
bikemike

Hi Carrie,

I would first try to figure out exactly where the water is coming from. Is it leaky pipes in the tub wall or leakage from tub/shower use? If the latter, from where? The tub and/or drain could be cracked, maybe a shower curtain that isn't properly drawn when in use, no flange on the tub, etc. etc. Continued leakage obviously furthers the problem, especially if there is a living space below this bathroom. Replacing the floor while not fixing the source of the water will of course cause the problem again.

I don't know of a temporary band aid for this one. If the shower has to be used and the tub itself isn't leaking, I've seem pictures on this thread of people lining the tub walls with plastic and draping them down to the tub floor. Kind of eerie if you ask me, but if drainage off the walls is the culprit it will solve the problem. Also recaulking joints, fixtures, anywhere where water can penetrate can make a big difference.

Maybe you can come back and tell us more about where the water is coming from?
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
carrie brooklyn

The water is coming from improperly using the shower curtain...a little water gets on the sides of the tubs and falls down to the floor. Or from the tenants getting out of the shower and dripping water onto the floor. The tenants aren't very careful...
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #4
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Try these in the tub corners...
Attached Images

Unread 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Watch they don't trip over that and sue you.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
mrjetskey

Talking

If that is the case just wet tenants dripping on the floor,pull up the linoleum ,let the floor dry,put down some more linoleum,caulk it real well against the tub and walls ,this will keep the dripping water from getting to the wood,then they can wipe it up or air dry it,ps.there is no fix for sloppy tenants except the point of a cowboy boot applied to the backside!!!!marvin
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
bikemike

For a temporary fix, what marvin said, or even cruder, cut an extra piece of linoleum a bit longer than the tub and maybe 2-3 feet wide and secure it to the existing linoleum. Like Marvin said, caulk the floor/tub joint really well. Note, I don't do projects this way! but I'm just trying to respond to your situation.

Good luck!
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
TedL

Make sure the tub isn't sloped to dump water on the floor.
TedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #9
carrie brooklyn

Right now the problem is that a single tile, ~3 inches from the tub and juuuuust underneath the toilet has come loose. The subfloor underneath it is wet (well, damp) and we want to keep more water from getting in. The area where the tile used to be is dirty, slightly damp and uneven - the plywood (?) is flaking and dusty.

Is it possible to replace a single tile over that? And if so, how should I affix the tile and what precautions should I take to keep water from getting in? I'm willing to have it look a little sloppy as it is a just a stopgap solution.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

Last edited by carrie brooklyn; 03-03-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: it is polite to say thank you!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase