Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
TonyMac

Adding to an already presloped bed

So I'm building a home and decided that I want to attempt to do my own tiling. I need some advice concerning the masterbath shower. It is currently a big irregular shaped shower with a framed seat on one end. I already presloped the floor and finished laying down and gluing up most of the liner. After looking at the issues with waterproofing the seat and the general complexity of doing the seat I have decided I may want to cut out part of the liner and remove the framed seat. I thought about then putting in one of the Better Bench corner seats. The question is after I remove the seat can I go ahead and preslope the area that is under the seat to match up with the old presloped floor? Will the mud stick to the old mud and be just as strong?

If I decided to go with a Kerdi system can I use the drain that was already put in by the plumber or do I have to buy the special Kerdi drain? If this is the case it is probably enough to convince me to not do Kerdi because I don't want to deal with getting the plumber in to replace the drain.

Tony
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-28-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
santanaf

2nd question is an easy one

The answer to your second question is an easy one. For a Kerdi Shower, you must use a Kerdi Drain.
Unread 03-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
TonyMac

bump
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
bikemike

Tony,

Some pictures of the current state of affairs would be mighty helpful. No, you can't go Kerdi without replacing the drain, and whether or not you go Kerdi, ripping out the seat and floating the floor to match is a bad bad idea. Joining new to old mud can be done in some cases, but I would never think about doing it in a shower floor. Besides, you need lath under the entire floor to hold everything together. Also, doing a cut and paste job on a liner can be problematic.

My hunch is waterproofing the existing seat is the least painful option. Please tell us it's not treated lumber?

There's a fella with a cool top hat that goes by name "cx" on the board that could really help you out if you reply with a picture. Call the thread "Tony's shower project" and he'll probably find you

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase