Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-24-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Laticrete Hydroban, anyone try it?

Any one try this waterproofer yet? It looks really quick and easy to use if you have good painting skills (which I do). Opinions, experience please? I have 8 snazzy showers to do in my latest project and am considering it.

I'm pretty stuck on the Kerdi shower system but really hate it in niches and corners where there's an overlap of material. I have my bad days where I struggle with buildup that can cause lippage or uneveness and like that I could just paint or roller the membrane on and not worry. I wish I could just roller on the thinset for the Kerdi membrane it would make things faster!
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Rob Z

Hi Colleen

When my current stock of Lat 9235 is used up, I'm going to get a bucket of the Hydroban and try it. The only thing I am having a hard time accepting is Laticrete's statement that fabric in the corners is not necessary. I'd like to find out more about that and how this new product works without the fabric.
Unread 02-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
John K

Colleen,

Have you tried the Kerdi set? I have heard it really helps with build up.

www.precisiontilestone.com
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

John K, no I haven't tried the Kerdi set, I'll bet it's unsanded t set, right?

Hmmmm...That's an idea. I've normally used Customs t set.
Unread 02-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Cracks over an 1/8" will still require a fabric.
Unread 02-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Laticrete introduced Hydra-ban at Surfaces, and I was surprised to learn that fabric isn't required in the corners. Apparently, the product is stretchy enough to hold together even under stress. For showers, though, there is still the problem of not having a surface bondable drain.

Kerdi-set is unsanded.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Hey JB how are ya?

So, couldn't you use the Kerdi drain (which I love) and Kerdi on the shower pan, corners, etc. and the Hydroban on the walls and niches?
Unread 02-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sure you could, Colleen, but not if you're concerned about warranty.

There is the other thing, too. Application is super critical with any liquid membrane. You've got to get it the right thickness if it's going to work. So that's two apps along with the drying time. It's not like you can waterproof and keep right on going.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #9
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Talking

JB, I KNEW you'd chime in about the warranty thing!

I'll prolly just stick to Kerdi system but use the unsanded thinset which really makes a lot of sense, duh. I'm always learning.
Unread 02-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
TGR

I am in the middle of a Hydo-ban shower now. The shop I work for is interested in the warranty Laticrete offers. Not sure but I think Hydo-ban can receive a 10 year warranty if used properly. Have to check on that though. I like the fact that the stuff is light colored. You can put a pencil mark on it and see the line. I used cbu tape at all seams and change of planes and just painted the stuff on. Two heavy coats. I am using the divot method around the drain so I will have just a small amount of mud with no water- proofer on it. I used a small amount of fabric around the drain. Laticrete’s tec department said that would be a good idea. Only thing I noticed was the coverage was not what Laticrete said it would be. I used more product. I guess time will tell. Just in using the stuff it doesn’t seam as pliable as comparable Mercrete stuff but that is just an unscientific observation by me. This is what my shower looked like be for I applied the hydo-ban.

Unread 02-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Todd thanks for that picture. I've seen the divot method done before but it's really hard to explain without a picture.
John that's one of the liquid membrane's answers to a bondable flange. They use a regular flange and the first mud float is done full thickness, just like Kerdi, except right at the drain where they leave a divot. It's waterproofed and then a tiny bit of mud is mixed to fill the divot. Tile can be set on that immediately.
The other method for liquid waterproofing is to use a standard old-fashioned 2 float mud pad with the liner in the usual place. It does bond to a standard drain just fine.

That no fabric in the corners thing is the same as Redgard, they're both pretty stretchy. Anyone seen the cost of Hydroban yet? I'd like to try it but around here it's about 70 or 80% more than Redgard. Too much difference for a product that I can't see the differences yet.
Unread 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #12
Forry

Seems like Redgard offers a "lifetime" warranty...Do I have this right? Also, I understand that for changes of plane, Redgard wants fiberglass...
Unread 02-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Custom requires fiberglass on exterior installations only, not interior showers (everyone I know uses fiberglass anyway, like Todd did even though Laticrete doesn't require it).
I'm not sure, but I think you have to use all of Custom's grouts, setting materials, backer boards, etc. to get the lifetime warranty.
Unread 02-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #14
Rob Z

Todd

Thanks for the picture. JB, this is what I have been describing to you for years about Laticrete's detail for putting their membrane on top of the shower floor.

Tom, I priced Hydroban the other day at my supplier...it's going to cost about $10 a gallon less than what I pay for 9235, but it is still a bit more than what I pay for RedGard. The problem with RedGard is that I have to get it at DalTile, and I'd rather not deal with my local Dal store if I don't have to.

Last edited by Rob Zschoche; 02-25-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Unread 02-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
NCTILEMAN

The hydraban also allows you to bond to copper pipes, pvc pipes and steel. The warranty from Laticrete is exceptional, I`m curious of the price difference between Hydraflex from TEC and Hydraban from Laticrete. I`ve used both and they are very similar. Gary
NCTILEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase