Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-05-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
TryinHard

Question Tiling around a Jacuzzi

Great site. Thanks for all the help. Hope my measely caulk tip was helpful.

If you've been reading my threads, you'll see that I have a lot of tile work ahead of me. In a while I will tackle the whirlpool. I framed the deck and set the tub in Structolite. I left 1.5 inch gap between the rim and the deck. Plan to fill with 1/2" CBU, tile and use ext plywood to make up any difference. I'm using bullnose wall tile for the top edge.

Is there any trick to setting the tile? I'm tring to figure out how to set the tile in the thinset, slide it under the rim and get it perfectly even with the side tiles on the deck. Do you set the side tiles first? If so, how do you get the height right. If you set the deck tiles first, how do you know how far out the set them?

Also, this is a corner unit. How do you get the tiles in the corner to go under the tub rim....not much room?

I'm assuming it is best to set the tiles under the rim, leave a small gap (eight to sixteenth) then caulk for the most water tight installation?
TryinHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Tryin Hard, Hi.

Yes, the tiles should go under the rim of the tub and then a small bead of caulking finishes things off.

It's up to you, of course, but it will work better if you keep things on one thread. Makes it much easier for us to keep track of your project.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:07 PM   #3
TryinHard

Thanks for the advise. Sorry about overloading with too many threads. I thought it would be easier to sort things out into individual problems. But....it seems you guys are so on top of things you don't miss anything.

Anyway....what's the easiest way to get the tiles on the deck to line up with the tiles on the side of the jacuzzi?
TryinHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:48 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Lay out your wall tile first.set 1 course of wall tile.now cut your back tub row the same size so as to match these corners.
If you have a 4" tile in the corner on the back wall, and a 6" tile in the corner on the left wall,you have a 6"x4" corner tile and all your back tile need to be the same 6"(although they probobly wont fit so you can make them smaller.Just so your corners match up with your wall corners.
When laying out your walls,be sure to consider the front edge of your tub deck.How are you going to finish it. Your wall tile should match up everywhere.deck,walls,etc.
As far as being tight along the back and corners. make the cuts just 1/4"- 1/2" larger than it needs to be to slip under the edge.
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase