Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-05-2003, 12:20 AM   #1
tilenewby

travertine uses

Husband and I building a new home and hoping to do all the tile ourselves. We have a tile salesman who LOVES travertine and is encouraging us to use it on the kitchen counters (well, everywhere actually!). Says all we have to do is seal it every 10 years or so. Talked with a salesperson at a tile/granite distributorship who strongly advised against this. Would love to hear your opinions on travertine. Thanks very much in advance!
tilenewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-05-2003, 08:15 AM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Here's my 2 cents.....

Travertine is a type of limestone and is quite soft and porous. In fact, if you look at the polished travertine, many of the voids have been filled in with a cementious filler. This is often what gives the travertine it's contrasting, vein-like apearance. Some types of travertine will have more "filled" areas than other but they are all pororus. IMHO, I would only use travertine as a decorative accent and in areas that rarely ( if ever) see water, food, drinks, foot traffic, etc.

As for the sealing, I believe the sealing should be done on a yearly basis. Like you are really gonna remember to seal the stone 10 yrs from now !!!.

You mentioned doing the job yourself. Travertine is very easy to cut BUT also breaks up easily since it is soft. For tiles with alot of filler, the stuff is downright frustrating. Bottom line, order alot more ( 20 % min) more than your square footage dictates. You will have quite a bit of scrap and breakage.

So, backsplahes, accent strip in tub surrounds, decorative designs in art niches, are places I would recommend for travertine.

For countertops, I would go with granite . Although it is more dense and does not have the filler, porosity issues, it also must be sealer periodically.

Against my advice, here is a pic of a shower I did with travertine. Nice shower but high maintanence...the white spots are the "filled" areas.
Attached Images

Unread 01-05-2003, 08:20 AM   #3
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Here's a better photo ( I think)..

Sorry John, finally got to post some pictures and I'm hooked
Attached Images

Last edited by Jason_Butler; 01-05-2003 at 08:51 AM.
Jason_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 11:11 AM   #4
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

And yes that is tumbled ( not filled) travertine tiles on the ceiling as well....

Another alternative to granite in your kitchen is porcelain tiles. They are "ceramic" by definition but have a much lower water absorption than convential ceramics. Crossville makes a good porcelain tile as well as American Olean

As for the ten year service period, Aquamix claims their sealers are god for UP TO 5 Yrs. This is for a surface that sees little use and is not sujected to harsh chemicals for cleaning.

I'll stick with the 1 yr re-sealing for a kitchen

Jason
Unread 01-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #5
tilenewby

Travertine

Jason~~

Thanks very much for your response to the travertine question. I'll check out Crossville and Am. Olean tomorrow.

Your photos are beautiful!
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM   #6
zman

i have had silver travertine in my foyer for 13 years and am about to change it. i am going with a porcelain instead. in some cases the filler in the travertine can come out. i am very negative on travertines in general. if i were to use a natural stone on a floor at this point, which i personally would not do, i would probably opt for a granite or maybe a slate. this only my opinion, however -- as a consumer(diy), not a professional installer.
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Tilenewby.

I agree that travertine has no place in the kitchen. Sealed or not it is succeptible to almost every cleaner heretofore invented. Tell your salesperson to expand his or her horizons.

Hey, how about a first name?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
tilenewby

"Hey, how about a first name?"

John~~

My first name is Dawn. We moved to Colorado Springs a year ago upon my husband's retirement from the Army. We're having a very positive home building experience and anxious to get the tile issues resolved!

Love your site and all the great info!

Dawn
Unread 01-06-2003, 11:21 AM   #9
Stoneguy

Send a message via AIM to Stoneguy Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneguy
Another vote against Travertine here.
Keeping travertine clean is a nightmare. It is a relatively soft stone, & very porous.
Tell that tile salesman to sell tile, but to quit trying to offer advice on materials he obviously knows next to nothing about.
David
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
Garrett

Smile

Travertine looks like it would make a cool wall covering in certain applications, like the 14' wall in my wife's sewing room which has two closet doors ( one is 30" and the other is 48"). Is something like that possible given weight factor of the stone and its relative thickness? The current wall is plain old painted sheetrock.

"There is nothing common about common sense."------Voltaire
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:54 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Dawn,

This is really a coincidence. I took basic at Fort Carson (Colorado Springs) in 1958. It was a small town back then. It's getting pretty close to Denver nowadays.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase