Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-28-2001, 11:54 AM   #1
Dano

I am a DIY. I have been using CBP's Master Blend Thinset with Latex modifier for setting the tile in a new shower. I am ready to start the shower floor with Dal-Tile 1" Porcelain sheets. I understand I should be using a Thinset especially made for porcelain at this juncture. The big boxes don't carry porcelain thinset and I am having trouble finding a Tile store that does as well. Can I use the modified thinset I am currently using or should I not settle for anything less than approved porcelain thinset?

One more thing. I have about 140 SF of tile already set in my bathroom remodel. I have been very meticulous to set all the tile straight and flat with 1/4" grout lines. Even though everything didn't turn out straight and flat, it looks pretty damn good before the grout goes up. Can I expect the same observation after grouting or will the grout magnify all my mistakes?

Thanks

Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
johnnymac

Grout

I recently installed tile for the first time. 12"x12" ceramic on a small bathroom floor. It wasn't perfect and I was kind of worried about how it would look after grouting. I happily discovered that the grout seemed to mask instead of accentuate the imperfections. I just hope it has the same effect on the walls that I'm tiling right now.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:59 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Dano,

Yeah, if your tile looks good now, it'll look even better when it's grouted. Grout hides/obscures a multitude of sins.

Any modified thin set works for porcelain. The Custom Blend mixed with latex additive works too. I don't think anyone makes a thin set specifically for porcelain. Of course, now that I've said that, somebody'll come along and make a liar out of me.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 03:32 PM   #4
Dano

Hey John, Thanks for the reply. Mapei makes Kerabond for porcelain and Custom just introduced a thinset especially formulated for porcelain. I called Custom and they recommended VersaBond (your favorite) and FlexBond. Looks like I am ready to go.

BTW, I just found this site after hanging out at Michael's site for the last 8 months. He is a little more, "In your face" but I have followed his instructions to a tee for fear of not waterproofing something. LOL

Dano
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:24 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Mike and I started out as adversaries but have become friends. I promote his book, and he bad mouths mine.

Not.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 05:51 PM   #6
LDavis
Texas Floor Man

Dano, a grout color close to the tile color (within a couple of shades of the tile color) will "blend" the floor down better than a highly contrasting grout color.
LDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2001, 09:36 PM   #7
JC

I thought that as long as you use the liquid additive it makes it into a porcelain thinset.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 10:59 AM   #8
LDavis
Texas Floor Man

JC,

Your right, liquid additive with non-modified thinset. Or, just buy a modified thinset with the ingredients already in the bag in powder form and add water.
LDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase