Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Tim_4_Tile

Tim's Glass Block Shower Project

Hi,
I'm embarking on my master bath shower and come to realize that it's going to be an ambitious project. I've got a question already.

Originally I planned to install a CPE liner type pan and so purchased an Oatey 3 piece drain. This drain was installed and was insulated from below w/ polyurethane spray foam, sheetrocked, and painted. There is PEX tube radiant heat under the Advantech as well. The master bath is over the garage.

After reading a lot on this site, I'm concerned about installing the CPE liner around my curved curb because of the folds that will be created. Kerdi would probably be easier, but of course I should use the Kerdi drain. Since exploratory subfloor surgery is out of the question with the radiant heat, I'm thinking I could cut my Oatey drain out from above using an inside pipe cutter and hopefully glue the Kerdi drain in. My concern is having enough pipe to work with. The Oatey drain sits pretty high off the subfloor for some reason, either inattention on my part, or it was pushed up by the sprayfoam. This may turn out to be a help actually.

In the photos below, you'll see the Oatey drain with water in the trap. The water line is 4 inches below the top of the 2" pvc pipe (where the glue line shows). So if I cut down low enough to clear the glue flange on the Oatey, will the Kerdi drain reach down low enough to glue onto the remain stub of pipe?

Other options? Probably no way to do Kerdi w/ the Oatey drain, right? Struggle with the CPE? Go crazy with Redguard?

Looking forward to my sound flogging...

Tim
Attached Images

Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I would use the Kerdi drain when using Kerdi in the shower. I would also get the drain level.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Unless the ceiling has been finished, it looks like you could cut out the existing drain and trap as necessary and install a new Kerdi one.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Tim_4_Tile

Yes, replace/level with Kerdi drain -- that is what I want to do. The question I'm asking is, can this be done from above? As I mentioned, it's inaccessible from below -- sprayfoamed in, finished ceiling, etc.

I gather it's too hard to guess whether I'll have enough pipe remaining once I cut off the Oatey to connect the Kerdi drain assembly, or I probably would have gotten more responses. If I had taken more photos before the ceiling was covered up perhaps!

Once I cut out the Oatey, I'm more or less committed... It would be helpful if the Schluter site provided dimensions for the Kerdi drain to give me an idea of how far down that glue flange reaches, but I didn't see any on their website.
Unread 07-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #5
rwcarpenter

See the kerdi drain rough in article in the liberry

I'm a DIYer, not a pro
rwcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Tim_4_Tile

Awesome, thanks.

Just when you think you've read everything around here...
Unread 07-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Tim_4_Tile

Okay, I cut the drain out with a dremel tool. Thought I'd try it before buying the internal pipe cutter, and it worked pretty well. Now I have to clear out some of the sprayfoam and widen the hole in the subfloor.

And order all my Kerdi supplies...

Here's a couple photos of the drain and my curved curb.
Attached Images

Unread 07-17-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
jdm

Either the first picture was taken before the curb was installed, or I am very confused.

You're going to have to do some careful planning for your mud bed slope. With the drain way off center like that, it becomes more difficult to get the floor to meet the walls at a level line all around.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #9
Tim_4_Tile

Yes, the off-center drain is high on my list of things I wished I did differently. When I was laying out the plumbing, I had a lot of trouble pitching the drains and ending up with vents where I needed them, while keeping the hacking of TJIs to a minimum. Needless to say, I did all that long before discovering this site. I actually had drilled a hole and located the drain in a spot that was more centered, but just couldn't make it work and had to move it and patch the hole.

The curb is not glued/screwed to the floor yet, so I can slide it out of the way for now.
Unread 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #10
Tim_4_Tile

I need some opinions on how to prepare my curved curb. The curb will support a glass block wall, with a doorless doorway.

The wood curb was a pain to cut (lots of better ideas in hindsight, natch), and so it's not very smooth and the sides are not plumb. (I got the "sturdy" part right though!) I figured this wouldn't be much of an issue, given that I have to mud it.

I can make a nice smoothly-curved template to go on the top to act as a screed for the side mudding process, then remove it and mud the top. But then I thought of this: Since it's going to be a Kerdi shower, could I cover the top with a smoothly-curved piece of 1/2" wallboard and then mud the sides, using the wallboard as the screed? Then I would Kerdi right over the mud and wallboard?

If so, should I wrap the lath right over the entire curb, then put the wallboard on top of that? Maybe a layer of mud to fill any voids? Or just staple lath to the sides? Or not much difference?

Can't thank you guys enough for the help.

Tim
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Tim, I would wrap the curb with tar paper and lath and mud it out. Get it just right and then wrap it with Kerdi. I would want it solid with the heavy glass block on it. Make a template for the top like you talked about, over hang it on each side to allow for mud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Tim_4_Tile

Thanks Davy.

Fantastic work on your website too.
Unread 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM   #13
Mike2

Tim, I just read your post # 7 about using the Dremel tool as an inside pipe cutter. Great tip seeing how many members here report owning that tool. I just added it as a footnote into that Liberry thread on roughing in a Kerdi drain. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28637

Thanks for the contribution.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Within the shower pan, what is the longest and shortest distance to the center of drain?

In the photo the drain looks close to the curb for a Kerdi Drain. I can't remember exact widths but isn't a Kerdi drain around 12-14" wide?
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
Mike2

I think the drain will physically fit but having it off-center that much will become a royal PITA. If this truly is your only plumbing option I'd think long and hard about breaking another rule and forget about leveling the perimeter of this floor.

Last edited by Mike2; 09-19-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase