Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
aimalyn

How to remove mortar off of tile before grouting

Hi! I posted a while back regarding tiling my hall bath. The subway tiles came out beautifully and I really enjoyed it. I told my friends that I'll tile their homes once I get back into mine which hopefully will be within the next two months.

Tiling has been like therapy for me -- I'm in New Orleans and have a 2 and 3 year old.

Well, tiling the bathroom floor was much easier than the tub/shower walls. I was very neat with the floor, but the walls were not so neat. I cleaned the grout lines with the grout saw but need to clean the tiles of the adhesive/mortar before grouting. Any suggestions as I am afraid of scratching the tiles by using tools (screwdriver very delicately).

Thanks!

da metrie mommie
aimalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
jdm

Exclamation

Aimalyn --

First, a few questions.

What kind of tile is on the walls?

What kind of "adhesive/mortar" did you use?

It will be much easier to help you with this info.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
aimalyn

Jeff,

This will definitely be a "girly" answer since I am not at the house now to get you the precise answer.

The tile is daltile rittenhouse white 0100 (glossy white) 4 x 6 subway tiles.

The adhesive was premixed from home depot. A white bucket, blue lid with black writing. -- see, this is a girly answer.

Does this give you enough info to go on?

metrie mommie
Unread 06-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
JTG

Amylin
You have used mastic o stick your tile. Best way to get it off is to get it wet you will notice that it will start to get soft again. (That is why here we don't endorse the use of mastic in areas that will get wet) I find that a razor blade works good to scrape it off of the tiles also. a 4" razor scrapper will work well and a utility knife razor blade for between the tile if there is still mastic to be removed between the tile.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
aimalyn

Should have known better than to ask someone with a perfectly starched apron what to use (you could still see the crease marks from the folds). I was actually holding for the manufacturer's tech support when the store emp came by.

I purchased a premixed grout with sealer in unsanded white as my grout lines are very small. Will this make up for the mastic error?

Thanks for the advice, I am off to purchase what you suggested.

Thanks again!

aimalyn
Unread 06-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #6
JTG

Aimalyn
How well did the pre-mixed grout work? Did it set up nice and hard? It like the premixed mastic doesn't sit high on the ladder of acceptable products for a wet area but I have to say I have never used it.
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #7
rockjet

hi!..i just finished tiling also and need to scrape off spectraset thinset ...........i had the small screwdriver and scraping blade ready to go!...anything easier?.........thanx........mike
rockjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Aimalyn,
What did you use for a backerboard on those walls? You'll probably need to let your shower sit for as long as possible before grouting to give that pre-mixed adhesive as much opportunity to dry as possible. If it doesn't dry, it stays gooey.

I'd recommend returning the pre-mixed grout you have in exchange for a cementitious-based powdered grout that you have to mix.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
aimalyn

I will return the the premixed grout and go with the kind you have to mix yourself and seal separately due to the comments on this board.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, I have been looking for weeks for white unsanded grout. As soon as it arrives it flies off of the shelves. There is plenty of emerald green and tourquise grout, but the neutral shades are hard to come by. Luckily there is plenty of other projects to keep me busy.

Since I am asking a ton of questions, here is one more... I was planning on using unsanded grout as my tiles are 4 x 6 daltile rittenhouse (subway) tiles in a glossy white (I don't remember the grout line - either 1/16 or 1/8 - I'd have to look at the spacers). After reading comments, it sounds like sanded is better in a wet environment as long as the grout lines are large enough.

I actually used "Acrylic Pro" adhesive on the tub/shower walls. This is what I am trying to remove from the tile.

It was difficult for me to work "clean" on the walls as opposed to the floor. Whenever I'd clean the wall tile the tile would shift and then I'd have to recenter, and by that time I'd knock another tile, and, well... Now the tile is perfectly straight with a little Acrylic Pro on it.

The walls are cement board.

I used the premixed grout with sealant included for the floor and did not have any problems and think that it looks okay. This was back in March.

Any suggestions on removing Acrylic Pro and sanded v. unsanded?

Thanks!
Aimalyn
Unread 06-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
maddfrog

Grout type is driven by tile spacing

The choice of sanded vs. unsanded is driven by the tile spacing rather than by a wet vs. dry environment. You should use sanded for 1/8" and up and unsanded for less than 1/8". The sand provides extra strength in wider joints.

As far as the adhesive goes, I'd dampen it with a sponge and then use a square razor scraper like you'd use to remove paint from a window (as opposed to the trapezoidal razor in a utility knife). The adhesive should come right off and the razor shouldn't scratch the tile. The razor may leave some gray marks behind, but they should wipe right off.
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:33 AM   #11
trecile

"I told my friends that I'll tile their homes once I get back into mine which hopefully will be within the next two months. "

If you do this, make sure to use ONLY real thinset, not the stuff in the bucket.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase