Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 10-16-2002, 02:36 PM   #61
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:08 PM   #62
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

The Tile Ranger

The reason the Tile Ranger has posted here is because John finally got the courage to post in Mike's former Web Site. I couldn't believe it!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 06:10 PM   #63
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
C'mon, Scooter, it was never a question of courage. It was a matter of respect. I wasn't wanted over there and I respected that.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:00 PM   #64
John K

John Bridge. You didn't answer the "Burns" post. on page 4..
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:21 PM   #65
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

.....just lookin', carry on!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 07:29 PM   #66
cx
Da Home Builder

Is this a recent event (JB postin' over at JLC)? I wasn't even sure they still had that forum, I better go look. Prolly say 5,469 messages since your last visit.

Wasn't never much fun over there anyway. But that's where I met RobZ, and he brang me over here.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:21 PM   #67
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

So that's who's responsible.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:59 AM   #68
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Sorry I missed your post earlier, J.L. These guys keep me befuddled all the time. (like I wasn't befuddled to begin with)

We call the the "five wall shower." The little returns alongside the door count as a wall, and as you know, they take longer than the other four walls put together.

Plumbing them isn't bad when you're using mud. It's just a matter of constanly checking for plumb in both directions. using backer board is going to entail a little more work in the way of shimming, etc.

There is really no trick. You have to get the jambs in the opening plumb and parallel to each other so the door will hang straight; and you want the inside of the returns to be plumb, also. The problem there is that the outside of the wall won't be plumb either, so you have to do some fudging out there to get things to mesh with the bathroom walls. There have been occasions where the walls were so far out that I've floated the insides of them a little bit out so that the width of the jambs would be too unsightly.

If you are lucky, you can sometimes adjust the framing in the opening to remove the little stubby returns and allow your other walls to come right to where the jamb turns. You can them back miter the tiles there and eliminate all that bullnose/quarterround business that always ends up looking awkward.

My advice to folks building a new bathroom. Never, ever, ever consider a five wall shower.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #69
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

I Was Joking About John's Courage

I want to go on record that I tried on a couple of occasions at Mr. Byrne's site to refer readers to a nice thread here about a variety of subjects, and in one instance Mike emailed privately essentially stating that I was an idiot and so were all the people here, and if I dared to post a link to this site on his site he would remove the posting. John and I spoke about the matter and felt that it was better to let the matter drop, after all it was Mike's site, and he had control of the delete button.

At this point I can not even remember the subject matter, but it was fairly innocuous.

It is very true that neither John, nor anyone who had a different opinion, was not welcome at the JLC Site. I did see John's first posting there this week. On behalf of the JLC site, let me say that you are always welcome there, John. Keep up the good work.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 11:12 AM   #70
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Rob alerted me to the fact that the tile board is still running. Without a moderator the thing is getting a little crazy. There's a guy over there who claims to know about mud work, for example, who is spreading misinformation on the subject.

I think we ought to sick the Tile Ranger on him.

Here's the link to the forum for those who might be interested. http://www.jlconline.com/cgi-bin/jlc...1/Catalog/1136

Scroll down to something about marble walls or marble tiles -- something like that.

[Edited by John Bridge on 10-17-2002 at 01:31 PM]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:19 PM   #71
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

I was really hoping this thread would be serious and on-track.

then I woke up and remembered that this is John's home away from home site... hmmm.

still, there are serious questions that get bogged down in the hippodromnia (poetic lic, please) caused by big headed pigs with stupid pig looking eyes and grossly pig looking legs.... geeze, will someone please delete some of this extraeneous crap?

I believe there's at least one serious question on the table that's looking for an answer.

Here's another...what's the lightweight contain? Perlite? Vermiculite? and does that (I suspect) affect the amount of water to add?

My big pig-butted two cents/sense.

Not a word, Ranger, I'm warning you, you pig-mouthed pig-worded sow of a no-pig!!! Oh... here's my addy http://www.sonnielayne.com and by the way, I'm not union, I do things that are right (not necessarily by the book), I don't pay no pigheaded dues (except to IATSI, {look it up, pig-idiot} ) and I'm tired of hearing pigheaded idealizations from pigheaded nobodies that have no pigheaded idea where their pigheaded lives are going. Go suck a pig, as you have apparently in your pig-headed past.

Sorry Bud, John, et al... edit as you deem necessary. This pig is getting out of hand. I already don't like this friggin eel and I'm the kinda guy that likes everyone. If I was still a fishing guide, I wouldn't use him/her for fish bait for fear of killin' the damned catch 'fore I got 'er in the net.

Sorry, I'm not the sort for this sport. I prefer to let the sharks stay where they like and the tuna take all they want, but this is a friggin' aggravating nurse shark in the midst of 100 bluefin that are his own size. Besides, it's late, I'm hungry and I'm too damned proud of being a part of this site. Ban the bum. Or get a bigger friggin shark. I know, I know... patience and the viper will uncoil and go away. I've no patience for this crap. The snake has struck and should be dealt with.

Everyone has rights except this one... This person has invaded my rights, so what stands? I'm public with this. My name is Sonnie Layne, I'm a remodeler/artisan in Dallas TX and I stand by what I believe to be everyone's rights to free speach... just don't screw with my ability to enjoy my spare time, which is what's happening.

It could be argued I suppose, that I could spend my spare time elsewhere. We could take a vote.

Hell...no one here has considered a ban as far as I know. there was that one guy way back when nobody was hangin' out here, but I think he just went away...damned it, I'm screamin' mad over this hole-in-the-woods that ain't worthy of what excrement would fall into it.

Hit delete!!!!!!!!!!!

my vote....now edit as you wish, you won't hurt my feelings, I promise.

get on with the mud questions, some of us are trying to increase our education and earnings.

I remain truly thankful yet apologetic for my disruption,
I remain thankfully true to the concepts on which this dialogue was borne.
I shall always be true to those that are true to me or mine.
And so.. I remain

very truly,
Sonnie

I think this is gonna say edited by.... that's because I took out the worst parts...sl

[Edited by Sonnie Layne on 10-18-2002 at 01:32 AM]
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:21 AM   #72
John K

John.

Sonnie wants to continue the mud course. Me too.
With the addition of admix, why would it be necessary to put 1 1/2" of mud over a wood floor system? On the laticrete site. There 226 mud mixed with their admix gives you 5000 psi at 1". That is more than some of the SLCs.

When you are mudding over a wood floor system, i.e upstairs bath. What is your system?

JK
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:21 PM   #73
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

Damn Sonnie....I see I wasn't the only one. Have you checked your email lately?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 08:26 PM   #74
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

No, I've been ill. But at this hot moment I'm deleting every reference I can find with this simple search engine (it doesn't speak Boolean).
Old 10-18-2002, 08:31 PM   #75
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

OK, I think the proprietor would agree here, ooops, sorry not my forum.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase