Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
LoriE

Question regarding cleaning grout and marble in shower

I have a walk-in shower that has a marble base and is tiled (basic 4x4 bright white tile) on two sides (one side is all glass w/door, the other side backs up to the tub and has tile 1/4 of the way down and glass the rest of the way up). The ceiling in the bathroom is 10' and there is about 3 1/2 feet open above the shower (which is 36x24). The house is about 4 1/2 years old. I currently have two problems...stains on the grout as well as stains on the marble base. I have tried everything. I've used the regular retail stuff, ZEP, bleach water, and TileLab products in an attempt to clean the grout and the marble base (yes, I've been careful about which products I've used on the marble...not wanting to do any damage to it). Does anyone have any other suggestions about what I can use to clean the grout and the marble base? I have TileLab sealer to put on it after I get it clean (I'm thinking that the builder didn't have it sealed). I really would appreciate any assistance you all could give me. Thanks so much! ~Lori
LoriE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Lori, Welcome!

Not quite sure of the stains that you are referring to? It's possible that you are experiencing some marble etching. Are these 'stains' dull spots, or water spots? Soap & shampoo build up? Can you post a picture?

Have you tried a stone specific high alkaline cleaner, such as Stone Tech's KlenzAll?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #3
LoriE

Thanks for the reply. I'll get a picture tonight and try to post it. There are dark patches on the marble base where we stand that won't come out. Also, I've got some mold/mildew on the grout around the base of the shower where the tile meets the marble base. There are also some problem areas on the grout where I can't get the mold/mildew to come completely out. I've tried a bleach solution on the grout as well and it doesn't seem to cut it. I haven't tried the KlenzAll. I've used the typical retail stuff...Tilex, Lysol Cleaner, OxyClean, Clorox, and TileLab. I will go and get some KlenzAll and try that, though. Thanks so much! ~L
LoriE is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase