Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
NYNATE

Can i cut the CBU or leave a gap?

For reasons of having my dad around to do the mud job on the slope I need to get this slope done by Sunday.

Problem is that although the plumber has installed the membrane, the shower controls will not be done until next week and at around 2 ft above the shower floor he has capped the hot and cold feeds.

I would prefer to install a full CBU sheet at the bottom of the shower wall but does it make any difference if i cut it down to 2' high in order to do the slope now and yet allow access to do the controls next week? (Note that i will be installing the CBU's horizontally due to the width of the shower so i would only be cutting off 1ft of a 3X5 sheet)

Alternatively can i leave the CBU off entirely and just leave a 1" gap in the slope by that wall where i can drop in the CBU later and fill it in with extra mud next week to trim off the slope?

Sorry if this sounds too cryptic. Its awkward to explain without writing a boring long story!! :-)

Thanks
NYNATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
bljack

Did your dad or the plumber make a mud slope under the liner or did the liner get placed directly to the subfloor? Just want to make sure your pan will stay dry and function corectly. As for the backer, if there is a preslope, just leave it up a bit off the liner to keep it from putting stress on the liner. The cement board will actually be held in place at the bottom by the mud bed, so you don't want it above the level of the setting bed. But that preslope is not only important if you don't want your shower smelling like a locker room in a few years, it's also code, though maybe one of the most unenforced ones.
bljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Mike2

Backerboard cut down to 2' widths will not present any problems. But like bljack said, we're hoping there is a pre-slope under that liner. What say you about that Nate?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
NYNATE

Thanks to the great advice on this forum a pre-slope was laid last week.
Even used the recommended mud mix.
It came out perfect. I had my father do it since he is in the building industry and had much more experience than I in getting the correct slope.

I understand about leaving a gap between the CBU and the liner and also about using the mud to hold the lower part of the CBU in place, but is it possible to leave the CBU out on that that front wall and leave a 1" gap on the slope edge. Then i could install the CBU into the gap next week after the shower controls are complete and fill in with extra mud to finish off the slope edge.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
bbcamp

Nate, doing that will mean that your setting bed will have a "cold Joint" in it. That is about as bad as having a crack in the slab. You don't want to do that.

You other idea of installing a 2 foot piece of backerboard at floor level is better.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
bljack

Just cut down the cbu so the plumber can do his work. You can install, tape and thinset the seam along that area. That way you can also have your dad do the curb while he's there. WHy do it yourself when you can sub it out to him?
bljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
NYNATE

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go with cutting down the cement board.

Cheers.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:01 PM   #8
jdm

Any possibility of the plumber working from the other side of the wall?

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
NYNATE

I just finished the bedroom next door so cracking that wall open again is not going to make me popular.

Had i known my schedule would work out this way i would have left the other side of the wall open.

But like i've learnt from this forum, things dont always go to plan!!

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
jdm

You could also just sweat a couple of couplings and a few feet of copper and some caps onto the water lines. Just extend them up a few feet so the plumber can take it from there.

Go Rutgers!
Old 03-10-2005, 01:13 PM   #11
NYNATE

I knew someone would suggest that.

Problem is the pipes are coming in from the side and not the floor in order to avoid the overhang the house has under the shower area (Extra precaution against pipes freezing). Its bad enough the drain will be in the overhang and will need to be heavily insulated

I could put some elbows on and take it up a couple of feet but the shower setup is going to be quite complicated and we dont quite yet know how far apart the feed pipes going up will end up being.

Hence i'd rather avoid messing with the pipes and annoying the plumber.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
jdm

Given the constraints, sounds like cutting the CBU down is the best solution. Shouldn't make a bit of difference to the finished product.

Go Rutgers!
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM   #13
bbcamp

Annoying the plumber is one of the perks of tiling...

...unless you are paying him.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
lady49er

bbcamp,

Especialy if you are paying him!

Dyanne

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase