Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
lady49er

Smile Tile pro request-MN

Evening Gents,

Any recommendations for a tile pro in Metro Minneapolis area? South side even?

Someone who is comfortable with granite tile counter/bulnose edge.

Depending on how the porcelian floor comes out, I may have a pro do the wall tile in this room, too.

Tile guy Todd? You must know someone good down here?

Thanks, Dyanne
lady49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hi Dyanne,
We have a couple of forum members down your way.It seems to me the last time i was down that way it was for a granite project(although it was a little north of you,up around Maple Lake.
It was a bit larger than a countertop though (1100 + s/f of granite flooring)

Ninemile(Colleen Stanton,Geometric Tile) has shown some impressive work that is paintakingly detail oriented.

Stullis(Scott Stullis) is another accomplished Tilesetter down your way although he may be a bit Distant for a small project.

Try a PM(private message) to either or both of these fine setters.If these do not work out feel free to email me for additional contact names in the Metro area.

If it were a larger project and you were not in a hurry i would consider your project myself ,However, at present i am scheduled into early April and it would be too distant to make a simple countertop project cost effective for you.
If there is more work than the above involved, feel free to email me regarding the project if my schedule situation is not too inconveniant.

Ive found that based on Twin Cities Standard rates for installation vs My standard rates in Northern MN.I can generally be competitive even with the added expense of lodging and travel for projects of Moderate + size and in many cases give you a quality edge that while available in the metro can be difficult to obtain without extreme sifting through of the available contractors.

And afterall,your no further from me than international falls where ive spent many a night in the Days Inn over the years on projects ranging from Churches and schools to multi million dollar resorts on rainy lake.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
lady49er

Thumbs up Thanks Todd!!

Greatly appreciate the names. I just hate the yellowpage gamble...

Will follow up with those 2, but I had a thought. (uh-oh)

There are 2 smaller countertops w/ backsplash & undermount sinks-using Giallo Veneziano granite tile and bullnose edge.
Also a 38" wide window stool (sill) and 2 niches needing 2 peices each-all bullnose or eased edge. Have plans & pichers.

So my bright idea was if you should happen to have another, larger job in my general vicinity......It might be worth working in my smaller job? Maybe?

I am not in a tremendous hurry. I'd rather wait longer and just spend hard earned $ once. And be happy!
BTW we have an entire kitchen project scheduled for next year: would prefer to have the same contractors return.

If you dont see it working out, no hard feelings either!

Thanks again, Dyanne

Last edited by lady 49'r; 02-03-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
stullis
Flooring Installer

Belle Plain is a bit of distance for me if just a small project. I'm pretty busy until mid April at the moment myself provided the projects stay on time.

Not sure I'd want to deal with the custom bullnosing aspect either. I'd have that subbed out to a fabrication shop. There are some granite tiles that come prefabricated, don't remember the name right off hand though.

Schluter also has a new edge available that is designed for counter tops or can even be used for stairnosings, the Rondec-CT that I am looking forward to trying. Looks really sharp and is available in all the new finishes.

I have been to Belle Plain though, due to my wife having relatives down there.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #5
lady49er

Question Hi Scott,

General Q on the edging.
Do you happen to know a website that has the prefabbed products?

Otherwise is this type of edging usually made by a fab shop, then installed by the same pro doing the rest of the "feild tiles"?

Thanks for your reply
Dyanne
Old 02-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
stullis
Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady 49'r
General Q on the edging.
Do you happen to know a website that has the prefabbed products?

Otherwise is this type of edging usually made by a fab shop, then installed by the same pro doing the rest of the "feild tiles"?

Thanks for your reply
Dyanne
Hi Dyanne,

The few I've done I had a shop do the bullnosing for me. Usually most of the people who get granite in my area get the slab countertops. They like the idea of no grout lines even though it costs more. In fact I'm having granite slabs put in my home right now.

There is a company that has the prefabbed pieces but I can't think of the name of it right now. It has been mention on the site before to by I think Tom. Let me do a search and see if I can find the info.

I don't think this is the one I was thinking of but it does the same thing.

www.doityourselfgranite.com/diy.html
Old 02-03-2005, 09:11 PM   #7
rob 223

I dont mean to take food out of any tilemans mouth, but..... slabs are really the way to go, and after paying out for custom bullnosing and labor the slab might not be that much more. Usually the only reasoning for tiles vs slab is money factor. Most tile men wouldnt tile there own counter tops. But if you do go with tiles you came to the right place.
rob 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM   #8
stullis
Flooring Installer

That's why I'm having slabs done in my kitchen.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #9
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

Hi Dyanne,

I PM'd you with my phone etc. I'm in Savannah, GA now through March working and escaping the cold

Thanks Todd for the good word and I had to buy another Felker saw for my southern work, oh darn
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:32 AM   #10
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Quote:
Most tile men wouldnt tile there own counter tops.
Not sure I buy into that statement.I would do mine again in a heartbeat.done properly with an epoxy grout its an excellant product and has design versatillity unavailable in a sold slab at less cost as a general rule.

Dyanne, The material Scott is reffering to i believe is made by Bennissimo and many shops have a display of the material.(Try RBC- rollin B childs as a distributor)
Most tilesetters will not fabricate on site but will shop out the profiling work,particularly on hard material like granite.,( I will profile softer materials like slates Marbles etc on site)
Its actually more cost effective for the installer and the customer to have granite done and on site before the installation begins.
This project is too small to be cost effective for me to do for you,(I like the idea of a larger kitchen down the road as would most installers and i would actually reccomend doing it all at once even if you had to wait until next year)however,Colleen would do you proud and she has my full confidence in putting a fine finish on any project you put to her..In the meantime, i would consider getting your material needs started.Perhaps looking at the distributors showrooms and determining your front edge needs and profiling needs if you choose not to go with the Bennisimo product.
Dyanne, thanks for stopping by the forums and we certainly would love to see pictures of your finished work.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:17 AM   #11
stullis
Flooring Installer

That's the one. Thanks Todd.

Here's the link to their home page.

www.benissimosystems.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase