Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-27-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
sugarbeth

How do I do a mirror like this? (pic inside)

I'm starting to get to this point in our bathroom. I'd like to do a tiled mirror like this. I have backerboard to cover the whole area covered by the mirror and tile. Should I just mortar the mirror on? This picture is from a magazine, so I can't get the details - do you think the tile is overlapping the mirror's edge or just butting up against it?

Any tips you might have will be appreciated!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Rob Z

Hi Beth,

The tile could be installed either way, but if it were up to me....I would layout exactly where the mirror goes, allow for a small amount of play, tile it, and then let the glass contractor come and install the mirror within the area surrounded by the tile.

I like the picture!
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #3
rich7

I just did exactly the same thing...there is a special mirror mastic for that purpose..you will need to support the bottom edge of the mirror until the mastic sets up..I can't tell by the pic if you are using mirror rail or not, but I just set my tile and the next day set the mirror right on the top of the tile, and used wedges to space it up an 1/8" for the caulk...one caution..that stuff grabs right now, so be sure you have it where you want it...press the mirror back slowly and the mastic sort of spreads out behind the mirror..once you have it back to where you want it, that's it..no need to tape or secure it...works great..check with any glass or mirror place...

my duece

rich
rich7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Westie
Engineer -- Alberta

Plain old silicon caulk works great for installing mirrors. Just have some means of supporting the bottom (tile spacers work well) so it doesn't slide down the wall until the silicon sets up.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
I use mastic for mirros it works well
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #6
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Mirror Mastic is best, and comes in caulk tubes or gallon cans. There is a special silicone made for mirrors, but most silicones will eat through the silver backing over time and leave black spots.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

I would lay out the wall based on the dimension of the tile and liners for full cuts in the pictureframe and then have the glass company cut the mirror to fit and install it. If it were an existing mirror, antique or otherwise, I would then layout the pictureframe "dry" to minimize awkward pieces and such before placing anything on the wall.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:55 AM   #8
td

I would highly recommend mirror mastic, like someone else stated, some of the other products can eat through the finish.

I just finished putting a 4ft X 4ft mirror up in our family room and used a stone trim around it...sort of like a picture frame look. I tiled first, then set the mirror in, I had about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch around the mirror. I elected to not caulk around the mirror...some people told me the caulk might overtime corrode with the mirror. That small of a gap is not very noticebale at all....so we just let it be.

We did not want to use the little metal tray that mirrors set in, so instead we used these clear little plastic 1/8 in. blocks that the mirror store has. We just used 3 of them along the bottom...this just lets the mirror sit ontop of them...they are real small and not too noticable...about 1/8x2in.

We're ready to redo our master bath....I like that look, do you know what magazine you found that in and what issue?

Thanks
Troy
td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
sugarbeth

Thanks, all.

Troy~ I don't remember what magazine it was from - it was a couple of years ago that I tore out the picture. Sorry! I believe those cabinets were custom-made, though. I'm getting a somewhat similar look from the MasterBath cabinets through Home Depot. Cinnamon, Shaker style, and they have skinny upper cabinets that you can put on top like in the picture.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Sugarbeth,

I didn't hear anybody warn about keeping water from getting behind the mirror. Want to try not to do that. It can erode the silver finish and eventually show through.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Ahhh, so that's what's happening to the mirror above my tub, on the ceiling.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #12
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

Too much splashin' around.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #13
jdm

Troy,

The plastic spacers you used were only necessary to maintain the space between the mirror and the tiles until the mastic cured. You can pull them out now, if you want.

jeff
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:32 PM   #14
WilliamL

Is it my browser or are there no pics in this thread?
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #15
jgleason
Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Must be your browser William. The first post has a picture.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase