Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-14-2004, 05:35 PM   #1
Marge

Total Bath Remodel

I have posted in a couple threads without a focus on our project so will start a thread on it here.

Project is a complete gutting/remodel of a 55 year old bathroom in a block construction/slab foundation mountain cabin. With the help of various threads on this forum, we have completed the following over the last six weekends:

1. Gutted walls/floors/window.
2. Replaced all plumbing with copper.
3. Moved toilet so hubby's arms quit getting bruised by the wall.
4. Installed new window in shower, making sure mortar sill sloped for drainage.
5. Installed bathtub, replacing what used to pass for a shower stall and cabinets.
6. Installed greenboard outside the tub area.
7. Furred out the block outside wall, installed 1 1/2' foam for insulation (only ceiling of house has insulation that we installed). It is AMAZING what that little bit of foam has done for insulation in that room!
8. Partial 15# roof felt attached (had to wait until window was in to keep going)
9. Porcelain tiles laid and grouted over slab floor.

Next steps are completing framing around window. building wall/niches at rear of tub (there is 6" gap between tub and interior wall), attaching CBU, mortaring joints, tiling and finishing other walls. Not to mention we are still working on our trees and bears motif for the surround "listillo".

Here are pics of project so far:

#1 and 2 Original bath. Note shower floor is the slab foundation
#3 Gutted room
#4 Window installed
#5 New floor woo-hoo!!!!

Marge in AZ
Attached Images

Last edited by maminaz; 12-14-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-14-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

4. Don't forget to use Redgard around that window and for all the nitches you might frame on that tub end that is still open, frame it with backerboard and paint the Redgard on after.

These are areas prone to leaks, Redgard is a waterproofing membrane easy to use and apply.

Easy to get, sold at HD.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
Marge

Rd,

My gallon of Redguard has been in the garage for two weeks, just waiting for that window to get mounted and niche wall to be built (thanks to advice on this board)! I'll post a pic after it is applied to prove it!

Marge
Unread 12-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's looking good Marge. Y'all been busy.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Marge

Thanks Davy. Busy is good...keeps us out of some trouble.

Now that we are getting into the niche building.......

Think we are comfortable with the actual construction process now, but have tiling questions. We got into a discussion last night about which tiles to lay first around/in a niche. If using 3"x13" bullnose trim, would you lay the fullsize framing tiles on the outside first and use the bullnose inside the niche, or do you bullnose first and pray the outside tiles meet? Or can/do you use the bullnose pieces to frame the outside of the niche? OR, is there a Plan C that will be revealed here? In looking at the various pics in the niche threads, it appears it has been done many ways. Thanks!

Marge
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Always set your bullnose after any tile it goes over, so it will meet perfect.

You can set them first if not overlapping anything, like where a wall ends or the end of a pattern.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I like the look of putting the bullnose on the inside of the niche and over hanging the wall tile but it can be done either way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2004, 07:49 PM   #8
Marge

Thanks...logic prevails.

My next query will be regarding piecing the listillo pattern together to lessen grout lines, but will wait until the designs are cut and pictures posted for a better visual reference. Plus, the new batch of trees look like they are drought victims and may need to be redone.

Something we found interesting...the porcelain tile we chose is a travertine lookalike. We love stone, have had it in other homes/showers, but felt a porcelain was better suited for this location. We were a little disappointed not to use stone. What we did not know and were astounded to discover, is this porcelain is REALLY multi screened and NONE of the tiles is the same pattern! Call us ignorant maybe, but call us very happy with the outcome. We have had people comment "I thought you weren't going to use real stone for this"....that's how great this tile looks.

Marge

Last edited by maminaz; 12-15-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Unread 12-19-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Marge

Window Tile

Grouted floor (still in love), toilet installed, medicine cab, vanity with sink/faucet, lights and bullnose trim for baseboard are all in this weekend. We have a dilemma of sorts with the window, as it sits in the corner of the shower.

Details:

Block construction
New window installed with sloping concrete inside shower
Approx 1 1/8" from studs to raw window opening
Need to install cbu, Redguard and tile (porcelain decribed above)

Dilemma is left side of window as it is so narrow.

Bullnose outside or inside now? Advice on narrow portion, etc?

Have some pics that might help in the visual. Second pic, please note that roof felt is folded twice..from left wall (pinkie finger) to window wall.
Attached Images

Last edited by maminaz; 12-19-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Unread 12-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #10
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Can't see the other pic, but i would do it like the niche. I like to overhang the framing tiles, slightly so i can build out inside bullnose to square the window if needed.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 03:28 PM   #11
Marge

Thanks Dave.

Project update. This weekend we laid tile baseboard, finished furring the surround, installed roof felt on window wall, and built rear bath wall with niche framed. There is a six inch space between end of tub and original bathroom drywall interior wall. And since we have company next weekend, we actually made the vanity, sink and faucet functional...running water! We plan on telling our guests that the copper pipe that currently fills the tub is a designer spout and cost hundreds of $$'s. One question. The niche wall is framed and backs to the original bath drywall. We placed an oversized piece of felt behind the niche (and will cbu/Redguard the niche itself). Any probelms seen with that area?

A couple pics of the progress:

Marge
Attached Images

Last edited by maminaz; 12-21-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Marge,

Somebody on another thread asked me to posture myself over here. I can take a hint.

I don't see any problems at all, and in general the project looks right on track.

What did you mean by the tub being six inches away from the wall? Did I read that wrong?

And on the copper spout, somebody put up a picture of a whole exposed copper pipe plumbing system here a year or so ago. Looked really cool.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #13
Marge

John,

Thanks for tearing yourself away and coming over here!

You read right. The bathroom is 5'6" wide so we had to build a new wall at the end of the 5' tub. Worked well for a niche though. The old wall is regular drywall (not greenboard) and we were hoping since we were building a new wall that it wouldn't matter. We placed an oversize piece of felt behind the niche (seemed logical at the time) and were wondering if we needed to be concerned about anything else regarding that rear wall? New wall will have all the required waterproofing measures. Thanks.

Marge
Unread 12-22-2004, 02:30 PM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Just go ahead and waterproof the niche after you get it durocked or whatever. You'll be fine Put the backerboard in the back first. Then lock it in with the side pieces.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
TJ

Marge,
Your floor is beautiful. Will you share what brand it is?
Thanks
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase