Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2004, 02:55 PM   #1
dustinb

Shower Tile Install HELP!!!!

I have a new problem i could use your advice on before i install any more tile. I have completely ripped out my old 3X5 tile shower and have rebuilt the shower as outlined buy johns shower build on this site, even down to the concrete monument. I have installed hardi backer board for the walls, the shower pan has been finished. I have bought 13x13 tiles and have installed a smallest wall in the shower, but the adhesive i used i have lost faith in. The adhesive is a Mastic type I & II Multi-Purpose, everything i have read on using mastic as the adhesive has not been good. Should i only use thinset with a latex additive. please advise me on how i should install my tiles to the walls, ceiling, floors and concrete shower bench. The sales guy said this would work with my tile he sold me, but i just read the back 'do not use on tiles that exceed 8X8. if this is true should i take down what i have installed or can i leave it and use a different type of adhesive for the rest of my project. The tiles that are installed will have the least amount of water exposer in the shower.

Thanks for your Time
Dustin
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

I think you would be better served to remove the tiles you installed with mastic, Dustin, and clean them off, then re-set them with a good modified thinset, such as Custom's Versabond.
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
bbcamp

Dustin, take it down and wash it off. It won't be hard to do at all. The reason for the 8x8 restriction is that the mastic dries by evaporation. The water in the mastic can go only one direction, through the grout lines. So, with the bigger tiles, water has to travel farther to get to the joints. This takes time, which works in your favor. You will be able to save your tiles and the backerboard.

Go get youself a good modified thinset for your tiles. Yes, you will find it a little harder to keep the tiles from sliding down the wall, but that's what they make spacers for. And yes, the thinset has to be mixed, but it builds forearm muscles.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #4
dustinb

thanks for the quick advise i needed to hear it from the pros, like you guys.
dustin
dustinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #5
bbcamp

If you need to hear it from a pro, check back after they've finished work and had their supper. I'm just the pet ingineer.
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #6
COBALT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcamp
...And yes, the thinset has to be mixed, but it builds forearm muscles.
On that note do yourself and your forearm a favor and get an egg beater type mixing paddle for a 1/2" drill. You can get one at Home Depot for about $10, and it'll be soooo worth it. Just let it soak in some water after mixing, and shoot it with a hose when you're cleaning up later.
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #7
trecile

I think that perhaps John should make the very first post in the Shower Construction Info thread in the Liberry about the dangers of using mastic in a shower, 'cuz if someone can read that thread and STILL use mastic, then the point really needs to be emphasized more.
Unread 11-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
bbcamp

Good Idea!
Unread 11-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
Mike2

Bob, I agree too. As a matter of fact, I just did it. Thanks for the suggestion Terri.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Not all Mastics are Equal and as a general rule using thinset in a shower is a safe and secure method of gaining piece of mind.

I currently have a piece of durock backerboard with 4 1/4 wall tiles installed with Mapei mastic soaking in a garbage can.its been in there a few months and its starting to stink a bit,however,the tile isnt even grouted and its still stuck hard.
It was allowed to cure 1 week before being placed in the water.

We had a discussion on this awhile back and i set this test up to see actual results with a product that I am not afraid to use and have done so commercially for many years with no failures.
Dont misunderstand,thinset is the best way always,but to say Mastic will not work ever is becoming an outdated statement and you can argue all you want but not until youve done the same test as i have.
Its not too likely your shower walls will be underwater for several months now is it!!!
Boy am i gonna catch hell from John for this one
Unread 11-13-2004, 03:39 PM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Todd, that's an argument that belongs in the deep end. Not here.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2004, 06:16 AM   #12
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Dang,Busted!!! Told ya i'd catch hell
I am not arguing or even debating.I am only stating an opinion based on my test results.Carry on!!
Unread 11-14-2004, 06:18 AM   #13
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Todd, are you using hot water?
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2004, 06:48 AM   #14
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Got ya there Todd ...soak that tile with warm water and the mastic will melt.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #15
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
There is no point in breeding confusion in the shallow end. The policy of this site is, and has been, to advise the use of thin set mortar in shower construction.

Let's confine it to the deep end. We can discuss policy issues there.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase