Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-19-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Nathanlv30

Resizing large format

I tore out tub and shower in my master bath and prefer not to pull up the tile floor as well. I found some porcelain 12×24 for the shower walls and tub surround that I like and compliment the existing floor pretty well. I've been picturing a herringbone pattern on the shower floor but can't seem to find a tile I'm ecstatic about (no doubt there's plenty I'm sure discarding time and budget). Is it a ridiculous idea to cut down some of the 12×24's to 6×12 and use them? They only have a micro bevel and matching core, so filing the saw cut edges of 18 sf wouldn't be a huge chore. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, but please go easy on an ignorant carpenter 😉.
Unread 07-19-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Nathan.

A 6"x12" tile is very large to try to tile a traditional center drain shower floor. And if your shower has a linear drain at one end the tiles are still pretty large when considering slip/fall possibilities.

Nothing at all wrong with cutting down your existing tiles to make what you want if your tile and talent will allow, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #3
Nathanlv30

Thank you

Much appreciation for your feedback. Yes, I did opt to go with a linear drain but am in agreement that sizing down would be a good idea for safety and probably aesthetics as well.
Unread 07-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Two main reasons why a typical shower floor uses smaller tiles:
- on a center drain, with the multiple slopes, it's hard to keep lippage down with larger tile to follow the slopes which often tends to be more of a bowl
- the edges and grout lines tend to give you more friction to fight against slipping in that wet, sometimes messy environment with soap and condition flowing

NOt all tile have a very good wet friction rating...in fact, not all that many do.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Do a test cut with a plunge saw and see how bad the chipping is. You really can clean up most edges if the chips are small using a stone and some elbow grease. I'm using full 12 x 24 in my shower I think they feel like 500 grit sandpaper on the surface so I think it will be okay
Unread 07-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
workhurts

Unless you have a great saw and do it consistently, I can't even begin to imagine trying to do that consistently.

Can't go wrong experimenting.

One additional data point. My 12x24 floor hasn't been slippery but it's likely very tile dependent.
Unread 08-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
Nathanlv30

Altering tile color

Was laying out shower floor for 2x2 porcelain mosaics last night and had a thought of altering color of select tiles slightly to create a darkening effect the last few tiles around the stall perimeter. I was under the impression that water couldn't penetrate porcelain tile, but from what I've read in the forum I believe that is incorrect. My thought process is that if water can permeate the surface, then an aniline dye potentially could as well. The tiles have a matte sheen and don't look to have a heavy glazing. I'm going to mess around with some and see what happens (if anything), but would love to hear insight from you guys that have a lot more knowledge of porcelain and glazing process.

I also had a couple other more unrelated general install questions. I've read to keep questions for same projects on one thread, but wasn't sure if that applies when they don't fit the posted title. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!
Unread 08-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thread titles matter not much at all here, Nathan, but continuity of project questions does. A moderator can give your thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Are you sure the tiles are glazed?

I'm not at all familiar with aniline dyes, but the answer to your question is simple. I dunno.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My take is although the body of porcelain tile has a very low water absorption rate, any glaze on top will have almost none. So if your tile is glazed I wouldn't expect much of anything to penetrate the surface without it sitting on the surface for some time.

The roughly 2X2's on my shower floor, and the 12X24's on the main floor, are also glazed with a matte finish.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
Nathanlv30

CX - No, I am not certain they are glazed. They do have a small amount of luster and texture leading me to believe so but nothing like an obvious glossy layer.

In either case, I did some test samples last night and was pleasantly surprised. All the pieces took the dye to varying degrees and actually fairly consistently within each piece. I did six samples total with one group receiving a moderate dye mix and the other with a fairly concentrated mix. Of the three tiles in each group, one I applied dye directly to the manufactured surface, sanded the surface of one with 150 grit prior to applying dye, and completely submerged the other. The abraded surfaces took color the best (which I think supports the possibility of being glazed) but the two submerged accepted color a lot more consistently than expected in their entirety.

Hopefully tonight, I want to break them open and see penetration. Also, I'm curious how much color will remain after a heavy scrubbing. A discolored grout path to the drain wouldn't be ideal.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase