Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Boston_guy

1850s Kitchen

Hello all newbie here. I am renovating my kitchen in an old wood framed house. My joists are the original 1850's true 2x8s 19.2 in. o.c. and I may do some additional blocking and sistering as needed but the deflectometer gives me a thumbs up for ceramic even before that.

The old kitchen circa mid 1980's has two sheets of 3/4 in. ply, with 1/4 in. thick 6"x6" ceramic tiles laid directly onto the plywood with a very thin mortar set. So total height was 1 3/4 in. Not using any backer board was necessary - and presumably still an approved method back then - because the remaining old pine wood floor was 5/8 in flooring on top of 1 in. planks. So the total difference between the tile and wood floor was about 1/8 inch, bridged with a small metal threshold.

My dilemma now is how to best setup my new floor for success keeping it strong but not making it much higher than 1 5/8 in of the remaining floor. Adding hardiboard onto the existing two sheets of plywood would make it too high.

Options?
- Two sheets of 3/4in plywood and use TAVY thin skin system -assuming this is frowned upon in this forum?
- One sheet of 3/4 in plywood, another sheet of 1/2 inch, 1/4 in hardiboard ?

What else? Thanks all
Unread 07-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Willy,

The two layers of 3/4 will be the strongest, but I'm not sold on Tavy thin skin. Using your second suggestion is probably the way to go.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase