Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
Jo612279

BIG Mistake - How much trouble am I in?

Hello!

I am (clearly) a novice when it comes to tile DIY, and made a big mistake. What I would like to know is how much trouble I am in.

We have a standard 6-foot fiberglass shower surround (no tub) in our master bath, and I decided that for decorative purposes, I wanted to install tile above it, i.e. in the 2-foot drywall area between the top of the surround and ceiling. I picked out some glass mosaic tile (Elida Ceramica Brushed Sand), and went to work. Unfortunately, I used AcrylPro adhesive to set it. The tiles themselves didn't have any information about which adhesive to use, and being ignorant, I didn't know about AcrylPro not being appropriate for glass tile. I did read the AcrylPro label, just not as carefully as I should have - it said okay for shower walls and mosaic. I missed the part about the glass. The tiles themselves are linear and therefore smallish - the largest are 1-1/8"x 8", and the smallest 1/2"x 4". The grout lines are 1/8". It was installed onto drywall. It was a week between when I installed them and when I grouted. And, yes, they are already grouted and sealed, but we haven't used the shower yet. It has been two weeks at this point since I installed, a week since I grouted, and three days since I sealed. Again, they are NOT installed on the shower wall per se, but on the wall above the shower stall, so about 6 feet from the floor. There is no direct water exposure to the tile as it starts above the showerhead, but obviously there will be moisture due to steam and it being a bathroom. I also installed a matching backsplash around the sink using the same tile and AcrylPro. Again, no direct water exposure, but it is in a bathroom.

So, what I want to know is how much trouble am I in here? What would be the biggest risks? I am more worried about causing moisture damage to the walls underneath than I am about tiles falling off. I guess I figure if they fall off, that I get what I deserve for rushing and not taking proper care. I don't want to have to yank all of this down at this point unless I have to. I don't even know how I would do that at two weeks out without destroying the mesh they were on or the wall underneath, and though I do have some extra tiles, they are discontinued so I can't get more than what I have on hand. My husband is losing his patience with all of it. I get that the issue is probably just as much or more about the tile being glass than it is about location, and I understand that the tile will likely fail at some point, but if there is a chance they will be okay because of their location up high, I'd rather just leave them be and take my chances. Again, I am more worried about causing moisture damage to the walls underneath as I have accepted that the tiles may loosen and fall off. I have used mastic on glass tile once before (again, due to ignorance), and they have been fine. They are also the thin, 3/4" square glass tiles and in a kitchen, though.

Thank you!
Unread 06-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

The tile police have been dispatched.

In all seriousness Jo, the worst that can happen is the tile will come off the wall and leave a mess. Moisture damage from the installation method is no just not something to worry about.

Can't give any advice on the husband and his patience level. Well, I could, but this is a tile forum after all.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Diane Brahn

Red face Question totally unrelated, sorry

Hello, I am new this this forum and having difficulty finding where on site that I can post! I have registered and have looked at all the above tabs where the F&Q’s, ect. are but can not find where I can compose a post! I looked under “new post” and saw this post and saw where I could reply so I thought I would go this route to see if someone could help me/ tell me where to go to compose a post! I’m sure it is probably right in front of me but I don’t see it!!! Please help!
Unread 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
wwhitney

Di,

On the page https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...isplay.php?f=1 I see a "New Thread" button on the left just above the gold-colored bar at the top of the list of threads.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Are you concerned about the shower being a wet area?
Did it discolore the back of the glass?
https://www.custombuildingproducts.c...adhesive.aspx#
This stuff.
If your wall was prepared I don't think light humidity fr a shower will be an issue.
I would say relax he happy, open two beers and enjoy the shower.
Unread 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
Jo612279

It did not discolor the glass. But then the tiles aren't transparent. They are white on the back, almost feels like ceramic. But mainly it is glass. If I can figure out how to upload a photo of one, I will.

And yes, I am unclear as to whether an area above a shower surround is considered a "wet area".
Unread 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
Jo612279

Front/back/side view of tile. It is Elida Ceramica Brushed Sand. Couldn't find much info about it.
Attached Images

Unread 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Jo612279

I cleaned and primed the walls with Kilz mold-killing primer.
Unread 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Kman

The job is done, having it fail (if it ever does) is no worse than tearing it all down and starting over at this point.

Lettigo.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jo,

I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's not a wet area per se. It'll be fine.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Jo!

What they said.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase