Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
qbluehen

Grout question

Hey all: Have visited often and the info on these forums have helped this DIY guy through several tile projects, so many thanks. Anyway, first question posted- I'm finishing up a replace a one piece shower stall with tiled shower (prefab acrylic base, (36x36)/CBU with Hydroban) and am about 2/3rds of the way through tile install. Tile is porcelain 4"x12''s in a stacked bond with 12"x12" mosaic mesh tile installed in one "strip" about 48" up. What I neglected to plan for is I set the 4x12's for a 3/32" joint, but in order to avoid too much cutting I set the 12x12 mosaic with a gap of almost 3/8" between the bottom of the mosaic and the adjacent course of 4x12's. Any suggestions for one grout that would work for all the joints? I'd like to use an unsanded grout on the 3/32" joints...
Unread 05-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
john619

Fusion pro says it is good from 1/16" to 1/2"
Unread 05-31-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
qbluehen

will check it out, thanks
Unread 05-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

While there have been quite a few reported problems with single component grouts like Fusion Pro on continuously wet areas like a shower pan, you're using a pre-fab pan. That's a good thing in regards to avoiding this particular problem with this particular type of grout. So, I wouldn't hesitate to use Fusion Pro if that's what you want. Realize that it needs to be sponged off the faces of the tile while the grout joints are still pretty soft, so you need to be mindful of not digging out the joints.

For me...my preference on a job like yours would be Laticrete Permacolor (sanded). It is rated from 1/16" to 1/2", is only a little more expensive than the cheap cementicious grouts, and dries to the advertised color (which is not the norm with typical inexpensive cementicious grouts). It is easily my favorite sanded grout. Realize that Permacolor fires off a little faster than most other cementicious grouts, so be mindful to spread smaller areas until you get used to it.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
qbluehen

Okay, thanks. Will be grouting later this week let you know what I used and how it turned out. Thanks for all the advice...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase