Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
jedf

Bathroom Tiling - unglazed porcelain tiles

Hello - what a wonderful resource! Seeking some expert advice...sorry in advance for the many questions but I just want to make sure I do this right (only other tiling experience was last summer with large format porcelain tiles in the entryway).

I am installing 2" x 2" hexagonal porcelain tiles (unglazed) over DITRA in a bathroom (floor inside and outside the shower).
1. When you're grouting rectangular or square tiles, you pull the grout float diagonally across the tile...which direction do you run the grout float for a six sided tile??
2. Should I seal the top of the unglazed tiles? The tile showroom sales person said no, but the tile person at the big box orange store said yes. The tile is a darker gray...
3. Related question - whether or not I seal the unglazed tiles, should I put down grout release? And if so, how bad is it if grout release gets into the joint lines? I am trying to understand if I need to meticulously hit the top of every tile with something small and precise (toothbrush?) or if I can "mop" the whole floor with grout release.
4. Should the grout on the floor match the grout on the shower walls?

Thanks!
JF
Old 03-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi JF,

I don't pre-seal unglazed porcelain tiles, but some do.

Grout release should not go into the joints.

Experiment with the float direction.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase