Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
pghsebring

Whats your method to bullnose travertine on wall?

I need to (re-) bullnose some travertine thats already on the wall. What would your method/tooling be? My thought is either 3” diamond resin pads on variable speed polisher or 5” psa sandpaper discs? Start at what grit and go to approx what grit to match the shine (between honed and polished)? Or would you tackle this by hand with the diamond sponges, sanding blocks etc? A few dozen linear ft.

Name:  9F47F659-1A18-41CB-A299-463D6790CEE7.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  9A170FCD-433B-4962-A764-8E2B91956453.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  38.4 KB

Name:  B84A6470-8EC2-4BB3-9C0B-D2E650F2CFFF.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  30.2 KB

Last edited by pghsebring; 03-05-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Added
pghsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Stuart,

You can achieve the honed look with 600 grit wet. Start with 60 and work your way through.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
argile_tile

i'm not a tile pro on this site, i'm a question asker. but this might help.

your right diamond pads with automation can be used: but are expensive, maybe more appropriate for someone who regularly does "this job"

the auto store has all grades of wet sandpaper (350-2000) for (metal). they do "scratch" stone (esp a soft stone). they wear prematurely as they are not designed for stone.

wet sand paper would be more elbow work but a cheaper purchase (tens of dollars), and i think if you try it you'll see 2000 is a shine (a cotton polishing wheel after with compound can bring mirror like finish). you definitely need to use each grade (starting at 600?) fully before jumping to the next higher grit, and not skip any grit.

(compare to finishing a concrete floor: pads cost several hundred)

it just so happens a few weeks ago i did this trick to take the "whitish edge" off black granite due to using a tile saw for cutting, to make it appear more black by smoothing the cut areas, using just one grade of paper.

but i'm NOT a tile pro. i do not know if removing the tile is more time effective, or other factors, or how to price the job: i'm an ASE auto repair pro and science pro

Last edited by argile_tile; 03-05-2018 at 09:23 AM.
argile_tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
pghsebring

Ok, so in the attached pics the upper tile is done to 800 wet grit (started at 40...) and as you can see, it still doesnt have the shine of the old lower tile. So im thinking that the “shine” is from a sealer of some type, and that this is just the home cheapo honed travertine tile that isnt actually shiny at all. If thats the case, how fan can i backup to get just the flat honed finish, then add sealer...220 grit enough? Or do I have to go to 400. Im hoping 220. This is ridiculous. What grit do they finish that stuff to at the factory?
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you're just bullnosing and not sanding the whole surface, it's best to mask off the tiles in a straight line about 3/8 from the edge (or whatever your tile thickness is). That will keep the sand paper from sanding too far over. Maybe it's just the pics but some of the tiles look like you're sanding the whole surface, not just the bullnose.

You might try a palm sanded. You can work on the bullnose profile with course sand paper and work your way up from there. It takes a little time with travertine. Most likely if you didn't get enough shine at 600 or 800, you didn't spend enough time on each step. Like you said, you have honed so you might be able to stop at 220. Eye ball it and see how it looks after 220.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Stuart. Happy Easter!

The shine comes from the smoothness of the stone, not any sort of topical sealer. It may be true to get temporary results from a sealer. But all things considered, I wouldn’t waste my time on temporary results when you’re just about to round third and have home in sight.

I think you missed some info in the previous posts. John talked about getting to a honed finish at 600 grit....and Argile talked about getting to a shine at 2000 grit...and high polish with polishing compound. Depending on your method and how thorough you were with each step, I think you can get shine faster than going all the way to 2000+. But...

Unfortunately, it looks like you extended your re-finishing of the rounded bullnose edge to the flat side of the tile, thereby dulling the face of the tile. That sort of forces your hand at continuing your polishing efforts to match that high shine. How are you polishing? Spinning wet polisher? By hand and spritzing with water? Random orbital sander and spritzing with water?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
pghsebring

I tried the taping off method but ended up abandoning it because i couldnt get bullnose finish to match.

I dont mind doing full tiles and just taping off the next full tile but i need the finish to be damn close and im thinking the old sealer is really screwing me.

I hate trying to fix these slop jobs.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I see Davy had faster fingers than me.

What makes you think there’s a sealer?

Old 04-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with Bubba, I've never heard of them sealing stone at the factory. By sanding the whole surface you have opened a bigger can of worms that will take even more time. What is done is done so I would just make sure you sand each grit real well.

What tool are you using? Or just hand sanding?

Bubba, I'm known around these parts as being a pretty fast chicken pecker.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 04-01-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
pghsebring

Hi bubba,

Ive tried everything, whats worked best is 5” round ceramic psa discs on drill then switch to 3m wet dry silicon carbide on pad sander for 400+ With spray bottle. My diamond resins were depositing color.

I figured if i can get one full tile to match then ill know the process for the rest of bullnoses.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #11
pghsebring

Im fixing a slop job here btw, i dont know what they did 5yrs ago, im thinking sealer. Never seen travertine this shiny.

Edit: just looked at other bathroom, they clearly used sealer, i can see it over their slop bullnose job done with 80 grit, still has a layer of shine over it even though it doesnt match the factory face finish

Now what the hell do i do. Can i reseal this whole thing (after fixing bullnose) and get a consistent sheen? Do i have to knock alllll the old sealer off to get consistent finish if i reseal?

Last edited by pghsebring; 04-01-2018 at 11:56 AM.
pghsebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Stuart, honed travertine is very popular and nearly everyone here has installed tons of it. What you have is not polished, it is honed. It may have a sealer, if it does it's probably a natural penetrating sealer that doesn't change the appearance. An enhancer sealer may enhance the color but won't do much to make it shine. It's also a penetrating sealer so there's no layer of sealer on the surface like a wood table would have.

I don't think a sealer is going to change it back. Polishing the stone will. I know you're trying to avoid all that work but like I mentioned, that's why we tape it off, to avoid doing what you've done. Not trying to be harsh but that's just the way it is.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
pghsebring

Meh the nearest box store has “miracle sealants 511 high gloss impregnating sealer” and i bet thats what they used

I too have installed honed travertine before and never seen any thats shiny, but there is no way these lazy people polished all these walls etc. Even the grout shines!

Tell me a way i can prove it, i will.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not saying they polished all the walls. The walls look like honed travertine. The only reason you're having to polish the bullnosed tiles is because you dulled them with the sand paper.

I don't think you spent enough time on each grit so the travertine you polished doesn't look like the walls. That's what I'm thinking.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 04-04-2018, 06:26 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You'll be time and money ahead to take those pieces off the jamb, bullnose new tiles on a table and install them back. Prolly a one day job.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase