Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
kk4560

Bath tub surround

I'm needing a little help here, This is my first time posting and I have a couple of questions that I need answered.
I'm redoing the tub/shower surround in a bathroom, Its down to bare studs right now. All walls are interior walls.
Now here's where I've seen a lot of different ways of doing this and it gets kind of confusing.
I will be going back up with Durock from the top of the tub to the ceiling. I was planning to coat the tile side of the Durock with Hydroban or Redguard and not putting a vapor barrier behind the Durock ( read that it will hold moisture) and then tiling over the Hydroban.
I was going to set the Durock 1/4" above the tub rim and set the tile 1/8" above the tub it self.
I was planning on sealing the seams in the Durock with fiberglass tape and Hydroban or Redguard annd running a strip of the fiberglass tape around the bottom of the Durock overlapping the top of the tub rim about a 1/2" inch or so and also coating that with Hydroban or Redguard.
Some of the people I've talked to have said not to worry about any moisture barrier behind or on the tile side of the Durock, Just tape the seams, Others have said they just coat the tile side of the Durock.
I've just about pulled my hair out over this one and I just want to get it right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi kk, welcome. Like you said, you want one or the other but not both. Most installers feel that you are better off using the Hydroban or Redgard on the tile side. That keeps moisture from entering the Durock. This also helps when installing the tiles. Having the membrane on the surface keeps the thinset from setting so fast. This is especially important for a DIY'er since you'll be slower than someone experienced.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

By the way, here is a shower that had cement board and tile without a membrane at all. Lots of black mold and rotten wood.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
kk4560

Thanks for the fast response on this one, Seems like the more I read on this the more wrong ways I find to do it! I'm glad I found this site. One thing that I forgot to mention is, On the other side of one of the tub/shower walls (hallway) there is some electrical stuff going on, light switches , ceiling fan controls. Is there anything that I should do to try to protect this or just put the Durock up? And is using fiberglass tape and Hydroban or Redguard for the seams the right way to go?
Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Generally, you want to tape the seams and then apply thinset (just a thin coat, no humps!), let that cure for at least a day, then apply your waterproofing. The alkali resistant mesh tape and thinset help to bond the board edges and corners together, giving you a solid surface to then apply the waterproofing to. If you use a sheet membrane, the sheet becomes the seam reinforcement, and you do it all in one step (plus, you can then tile immediately). On a tub surround, since you aren't going to do a flood test, just follow the manufacturer's instructions on drying before tiling...generally a few hours or so.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
kk4560

Thanks for chipping in, The mesh tape and thinset does sound a lot better than fiberglass tape and Hydroban or Redguard. I have some Laticrete 317, Is that the right stuff to use for the seams and corners?
Old 03-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Most any thinset should be okay to tape the seams. You're not doing drywall seams, so you don't need to fully encapsulate the mesh. YOu do want to fill the seam and the mesh of the tape. If you get carried away, you'll create a hump, which, depending on how high, can make tiling a pain while trying to keep everything flat and level. You do want to let it sit for at least a day before then covering it with the waterproofing to cure as excess moisture underneath the waterproofing can be a problem until it itself dries and cures.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
kk4560

The drywall,,,,, Whats the best way to seal where the drywall meets the Durock? I plan on tiling out a couple of inches past the drywall/Durock joint into the the drywall.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

If that edge is in a dry zone, you don't need to do anything to it.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
kk4560

Yep it shouldnt be getting wet, So here's what Im coming up with for Durock install,,, Durock straight to the studs (no vapor barrier behind it), Sealing seams and corners with mesh tape and thinset, Covering entire tiling surface of the Durock with Hydroban or Redguard and maybe a short skirting of fiberglass tape coated with Hydroban or Redguard over lapping the top lip of the tub. What do you think?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:22 PM   #11
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Verify the instructions on the manufacturer's website of the waterproofing material you select. Many of them can handle a gap of 1/8" maximum, so the gap to the tub may be problematic, or not.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
kk4560

which side out

Im getting ready to hang a Durock cement backer board surround for a tub/shower and I will be coating the Durock with Hydro Ban then tiling, Which side of the the durock goes out? I noticed on the Durock sticker, In very small print it says rough side out for mortar and smooth side out for mastic, Im guessin that the the smooth side needs to be out for Hydro Ban.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:31 PM   #13
Lou_MA

I’d call USG to verify. My opinion is that it wouldn’t matter which side. However, I would put rough side out to provide some tooth for the Hydroban.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
kk4560

I read in a few places that it did'nt matter which side went out, A phone call is cheap insurance! Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #15
Dave Gobis
da Man!

The reason the two sides are different is the manufacturing process, it is not a design feature. If you want a consistent film thickness the smooth side makes more sense.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase